Rear Door Glass / Quarter Glass Removal - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator
RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rear Door Glass / Quarter Glass Removal

Following a loud bang while driving on the interstate, I discovered that the left rear door glass had been hit by something that cracked it. Damned road debris! Why don't they have high speed sweepers deployed on interstates to prevent this kind of thing? Where are my taxes going?

encyclopedia test-20170412_045751-1.jpg
The white blob in the window is the infant grandson's rear facing car seat.

I have searched the Encyclopedia for tips on how to remove and replace the window but have come up empty. I found the video in the Encyclopedia on removing the door panel (included at the bottom for quick access) so that's a start. The only DIY's that I could find for removing the glass from ANY Mercedes-Benz® was a PDF for a W204 (2009 C300) and this video for a W124, shown below. The W204 removes it from the outside and the W124 comes from the inside. If anyone has knowledge of a better DIY that is specific to the W220, feel free to chime in.

Sliding Glass Removal Instructions for W204 Models.pdf (969.3 KB, 844 views)

It happened late so I will be contacting my insurance company to see if it's covered under my comprehensive plan that protects the windshield but
A. It might not be so I'm getting a jump on this request, especially since it seems to not exist anywhere on the interwebs and...
B. If it is covered don't want some piece of Safelite® glass and if they won't let me take it to the dealership, I might try to salvage one from the pick and pull. I dunno.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:07 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 2002 S430
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Here is the instructions, it is not very clear which is which. I think you need the crank window instructions, you will understand when you read them.

While you are at this feel free to video it for others.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Remove_install power window on rear door.pdf (63.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf Remove_install crank window in rear door.pdf (34.5 KB, 37 views)
mercy-me likes this.

Dean

GMT +10

2002 W220 S430
2001 X64 Mégane CC
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator
RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Dean! That helps immensely. A potential issue will be how to lower the window of the donor car to access the #3 screw mentioned. Batteries are not allowed in the pick and pull. I am researching how to convert my 18v cordless drill battery to 12v to run the window motor. No joy as yet but I'm a-googlin'.

Also, once the rear stay is is removed, would the rear quarter glass come out with a forward pull or is there another step?

If I go after this, I WILL attempt a video but at the least, there will be pictures.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2013 S550
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I wish you the best in this annoying endeavor.

I'm not sure how well an 18v to 12v conversion of your drill would go; but Home Depot and of course Harbor Freight show new ones from around $40-$45. I presume you plan to use the drill to physically crank the motor, which would not have power supplied.

Of course, if you're just going to "accidentally" apply power to the motor contacts, there is a wide range of 12v batteries. See HERE and HERE for example.

Post 10 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-exterior.html has an attachment with more on the door panel removal; it was written to address replacement of the interior door handle LED, but the latter portions of it discuss the latch cable in greater detail than the video, as well as the clips that could pop off when you lift the panel off.

You're not foolin' about road debris. In the Tampa vicinity in the past month we have had a woman nearly skewered by an oar - THIS - not to mention some idiot teens tossing things at cars passing under overpasses. Worse yet was THIS.

The rock I took into the windshield of my W221 just 3 days after buying it pales by comparison (fortunately, the crack was below the windshield wiper parking area and has been fixed).

Warren

2013 S550

Formerly:
2010 S550
2005 S500 4-Matic
2000 S500
1978 450SL

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-12-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator
RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaw View Post
I wish you the best in this annoying endeavor.

I'm not sure how well an 18v to 12v conversion of your drill would go; but Home Depot and of course Harbor Freight show new ones from around $40-$45. I presume you plan to use the drill to physically crank the motor, which would not have power supplied. No conversion would be required for that, though...

Of course, if you're just going to "accidentally" apply power to the motor contacts, there is a wide range of 12v batteries for not much money. See HERE and HERE for example.

You're not foolin' about road debris. In the Tampa vicinity in the past month we had a woman nearly skewered by an oar - THIS - not to mention some idiot teens tossing things at cars passing under overpasses.

The rock I took into the windshield of my W221 just 3 days after buying it pales by comparison (fortunately, the crack was below the windshield wiper parking area and has been fixed).
About the oar? Just wow!

The reason that I'm looking for something to convert my drill battery is that they search your bag but they DO allow you to bring in cordless power tools. I just happen to have an 18v instead of a 12v Black and Decker drill.

But your HERE combined with THIS might be just the ticket.

I'm always worried that the electrical items that I pull off these cars might not work and while they are cheap, so am I! They do have auto batteries for sale at the checkout window and they will let you test your item there but I want to know before I pull the part if I can. Also, I need to lower the window. A couple of weeks ago, it would have been nice to move the driver's seat back a few inches to get to the console attachment screw. Don't ask how I got to it.

Also, when I look at parts interchange sites, it seems that the rear door glass is different for 2005 and 2006 than for 2000-2004. Anyone know?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:32 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2013 S550
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I believe the '05-'06 glass might be just a bit thicker, for sound deadening purposes - if memory serves.

My only concern about the AA-sized batteries is whether they will deliver enough amperage - but yes, an arrangement like that is what I had in mind. You could test it on your car (assuming you have nearly infinite patience for removing and replacing panels). If the "23A" is an amperage rating and not a model designation (hard to believe in a battery that small), it would work. Looking at the listing for it, I think it is an alternate model designation for that battery, which is "A23," - not an amperage rating. 23 amps is HUGE for a small battery. Most of the fuses in our cars don't go that high (though some are 30 amp, and the pre-fuses are far more). Still, that amount of amperage is coming from a pretty large main battery.

You MAY find that the window lift motor has a socket by which it can be manually cranked with a drill, with no power applied to the motor. Pinkster's diagrams seem to indicate so, but I am not at all certain. See the M10/6x1 and M10/5x1 designations in his first pdf above, and the photo below. That round device with the spoke grid (and at the arrow below) may be the cranking point.

Also, we were cross-posting. Your quote missed the following, which I was adding at the time - it may be helpful when putting things back together (don't ask me how i learned about it - yeah, the hard way) - Post 10 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-exterior.html has a pdf file attachment with more on the door panel removal; it was written to address replacement of the interior door handle LED, but the latter portions of it discuss the latch cable in greater detail than the video, as well as the clips that could pop off when you lift the panel from the window frame. I just wanted to be sure you saw it.
Attached Images

Warren

2013 S550

Formerly:
2010 S550
2005 S500 4-Matic
2000 S500
1978 450SL

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-12-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Hey Dig check this website out for the answer to your power problem.

And here are some more for the other window.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Remove_install fixed window in rear door.pdf (26.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf Remove_install outer sealing rail.pdf (32.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Remove_install inner sealing rail.pdf (25.7 KB, 30 views)

Dean

GMT +10

2002 W220 S430
2001 X64 Mégane CC
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator
RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaw View Post
I believe the '05-'06 glass might be just a bit thicker, for sound deadening purposes - if memory serves.
... I just wanted to be sure you saw it.
I just confirmed with the dealership that the glass did change in 2005 so anything before that won't work. I saw the thread that you linked (thank you sir) and while I only skimmed post 10 the first time, I noticed in the video the issue with one of the clips.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator
RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkster View Post
Hey Dig check this website out for the answer to your power problem.

And here are some more for the other window.
Thanks again, Dean. I was looking at information about L 7815 voltage regulators around 5 AM when I first began to investigate the issue. It's amazing what google can find when you have no idea what you're looking for! That said, I was hoping to find some sort of off the shelf converter that I didn't have to build myself. On a scale of 1 to 10 in soldering skills with 10 being the best, I'm around a 2 or a 3. As yet, I haven't found one.

Meanwhile, my insurance company has confirmed that my coverage includes all of the glass and thus, the broken window is fully covered with a zero deductible. Yay.

The bad news (there's always bad news) is that if I don't want to come out of pocket, I have to go to Safelite or somesuch glass installer. I told them that I wanted to have the dealership do it. I would prefer an M-B tech who is reasonably familiar with an S class and has access to OEM parts, clips, vapor barriers etc. installing Pilkington glass instead of some guy who installed who knows what brand of side glass in a Honda yesterday, a Lexus a few days ago and a Chevy last week. Unfortunately, the $1,305.80 has to come out of MY pocket and then I get to 'apply' for reimbursement. Who knows how long that will take!

It's always something.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:38 AM
Outstanding Contributor

You won't find that on a shelf ready made sorry. Have a go the practice is good and it won't need to be perfect to wind a window down. Just remember that the 7812 is only good for 1amp so you need to add them upto the amps you need for the window motor. I would guess that 5A would be enough.
Digmenow likes this.

Dean

GMT +10

2002 W220 S430
2001 X64 Mégane CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.