Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 S430 AIRMATIC Calibration

18K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  pinkster 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I recently replaced the left rear strut and the airmatic compressor on my 02' S430 . The car would drop down due to the faulty strut and the compressor broke because it would not stop trying to fill the strut.
Now everything works fine and after 24 hours of standby the car is fine, except for one thing , there is a difference in the height between the two rear struts , whats the proper way to calibrate the system?

I have acsses to autel maxisys , maxidas and snap on verus.

#6 ·
For the rear there is 1 level sensor that works on the average of the rear and the rear struts need to be calibrated for this to work correctly. Without being done you will end up with one side higher than the other side. SDS has adjustment settings for each rear strut as they are adjustable and need to be set to their own settings when the car is at the correct ride height.

#7 ·
Hi I'm new to this form and really don't know how to navigate around here well so bare with me if I'm off topic or in the wrong place . I'm a girl that should explain it all ! My husband has a 08 s550 and is having a airmatic suspension issue the rear is really high and won't go down . Any suggestions on what that can be ? Any help is appreciated thanks Jamie

#9 ·
First up your car is a W221, but the W220 Encyclopedia has some very good information on the Airmatic system that applies to all models with Airmatic. It is always handy to have the car read with an SDS system, but in this case there are some checks/tests you can start with first that cost you just your time. Hit the Enc. and do some reading on the Airmatic system and start there.

Reactions: Dave2302
#13 · (Edited)
Yes, your thread was hjacked a bit, mrSL; but the lady in post 7, which tusabes quoted, asked a question about an '08 S550 - a W221. The issue at hand in both your questions and hers related to airmatic, which operates functionally the same between the W220 and the W221.

It would be best if we returned the thread to mrSL's topic, and if Jamie needs more answers, she continue in the W221 forum - though it looks as if the answers to her question here just about covers it.

Jamie, for future matters I'll be glad to see you in the W221 forum, where I am a moderator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.