Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HVAC Dash Control Unit

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave2302 
#1 ·
The display is going out in my 2006 S500. I see rebuilt units on ebay, but they aren't much less than a new unit at a discount price. Is it a fairly good gamble to buy used, or should I go for the new unit? Is it plug and play?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Hi,

I suspect like almost every other Module, this will need coding via SDS to the specifics of your car :wink

A s/h unit from an absolutely identical vehicle, with exactly the same options as yours may well plug and play, but personally I'd check and code if necessary :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

#8 ·
Hi,

Don't be afraid of it :wink

You have 3 options..........

1) Do as Kraut56 says, as long as there isn't another problem in the CC Panel, that will work

2) Get a good Indie to code it for you

3) If you are serious about doing all the work on your car yourself, Buy SDS and teach yourself how to use it. To work on these Cars it really is a 'must have' piece of equipment :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

#11 · (Edited)
for the LCD display there are no light bulbs involved, and no soldering is required.
The LCD display is snapped and held into place with some plastic retainers.
You have to look carefully how the ribbon is connected and held in place to make a proper contact connection. I think (remember) this is just a ribbon-pinch connection, not a pinned connector.

BTW: I actually used the LCD display from a front dashboard unit to repair my rear passenger HAVC unit

#12 ·
Just as a note I don't believe there is any coding required for the control unit. Has when it is removed/installed WIS only states to connect STAR and read out fault memory. So if you can get a secondhand one just install it and all should be good.

Reactions: Dave2302
#13 ·
Hi,

That will be one of the very few Modules on these Cars that doesn't then :grin
I'll take a look when SDS is plugged in next day or 2 :wink

Cheers Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.