Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Auto Trunk Closer

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Smokiesman 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at a W215 CL600 with the Hydraulic Auto trunk Closer, which is the same system used on W220.

Can anyone tell me what module and where is the module that operates the 2 relays, as I have eliminated the pump, motor and relay pack, but the motor will not run when I press the red button on the trunk.

SDS is not listing an ECU for this when I do a scan, but looking at live data and codings it is nothing to do with PSE or rear SAM.
Trunk lighting and microswitch in Trunk Lock are also working fine, and the red button lights up when the trunk lights come on

Cheers Dave

#4 ·
Hi Guys,

@ Dean and Smokie,

OK, thanks for that, I'll look in more depth at PSE on Monday, I'm not sure how in depth I went in with it, as tbh I thought it only controlled "Soft Close" regarding the Trunk Lid.....
PSE has been replaced at some time, if it is wrong, can it be coded for Hydraulic Closer, or will it need a different p/n ??

The only document I found so far is 90.20-u-201-99xaa (but that relates to Power Closer on a CLS, so perhaps a different system)........Because of that I have been looking for N121 TLC[HDS] Control Unit, not sure if that's relevant now ??

Once again, thank you for your input,

Regards Dave

#6 ·
Thanks Dean,

I will get my SDS on it when I'm back at work this week, and interrogate PSE, see if it is and / or can be coded for Power Trunk Lift, correct part no. and any Actuation Tests it might allow me to do, then I'll report back :wink

Cheers Dave

#7 ·
Dave if you what the part numbers etc let me know the VIN and I'll look them up. It will also make finding the right info a lot easier.
Did you manage to get the doc "pe80.20-p-2101-99ca" it is the wiring diagram for the PSE?

#8 ·
Dave ! the early models of the pump can not be programmed for the lift assist! I bought one from Ebay cheap and it worked but not on the lift assist. I took it to my local indie in Asheville NC and he could not program that pump as it was to old. He had a later model laying around in the shop we plugged that one in and he was able to find and program the lift assist . And it has been working great so far. When I pushed that button and the lid went up it was Oh Happy Days !! But almost drove me "nuts" !!

Smokie

#9 ·
Hi,

Thanks guys.

It is entirely possible that this car has had the wrong p/n PSE fitted s/h, as it has been at 2 previous bodgers in Inverness, one of who was the same lot who screwed up the S500 I recently bought a few years ago :laugh:laugh:laugh

I'll hook it up to SDS if I get time today, and I'll get the p/n off the PSE.

Yes I got that doc, that looks suspiciously correct :grin

Thanks for all your help guys,

Cheers Dave

#10 ·
Hi Guys,

Got a quick look at the CL600 yesterday.....

VIN WDB2153782A025634

PSE part number A 220 800 05 48

Part number is listed for this VIN, but lots of superceeded ones.
I guess It is possible this car has had the Trunk Lift fitted later in it's life :confused:

A Datacard would be good at this stage, see if it was fitted at the factory but I can't seem to work out how to do this with my WIS, but my WIS is "only work offline" copy, won't seem to allow me to get Datacards for some reason :confused:

Checked through PSE on SDS........

No fault codes, no mention of an actuation for Power Trunk Lift and no mention of Power Trunk Lift in codings, or Initial Start Up.
Ran out of time then and headed home :wink

Later today I'll pull the plug from PSE that goes to the Relays, and try powering the Relays from that end, just to eliminate a break in wiring, but I would have expected a fault code in PSE if that was the case.

Cheers Dave

#11 ·
Check the motor, should be A215 800 01 48. As for the PSE the part number you have is the first of them.

As for the datacard it is attached, my WIS is an offline only version too. We'll have to check what is going on with your copy.

Attachments

#12 ·
Hi Dean,

Many thanks for all that.

Data card shows that RTL (881) was original fitment.

I thought PSE was the right one, just first p/n.
I haven't checked pump / motor p/n, but as it worked fine by powering the relays from PSE end of wiring, I was sure that was OK, I think the difference is the pick up pipes in the fluid resevoir, CL has longer angled ones, S has only one straight pipe, CL is mounted with resevoir facing to right of car, S is mounted with resevoir facing down :wink

Anyway.....WooooHooooo.....

Fixed it:grin

Smokie was right on the money, cheers buddy :smile

It was either the wrong PSE, or there is a fault with circuitry that only affects PTL and nothing else, doesn't show fault codes etc etc.

I had a brain wave

I have a CL500 in atm as well, both cars had all C/L Soft Close Rear Headrests, Seat Functions etc etc functioning perfectly, but the CL500 doesn't have PTL, but it's PSE was a much newer part number.

Swapped the units from car to car, hooked up SDS and bingo, the later one has all the settings and options in Initial Start Up and Adaptations...........

So I went right through all the coding and at the end up comes the option for Normalize PTL, which I did.....

Now it is working like a champ :grin

When I get a few minutes in the next few days, I'll try and pull a data card, and I'll write down exactly what I'm doing and what WIS says, and I'll get back to you, I'll put up a fresh Post.

Cheers guys, it would have taken me a lot longer to figure it out without your help.

Regards Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.