Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Removing LED bulbs from the Interior overhead lights

486 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Skylaw 
#1 ·
The latch door on one of the interior overhead lights (rear passenger side) is broken. The locking mechanism is what is broken. Replacing the entire assembly will cost me $500.00 just for the part and labor could be another hundred. Not worth it. The light stays on during the entire time that I am drive the car. I have tried shutting it with velcro after velcro together with epoxy glue all to no avail. The tension in the door is too strong to hold it shut. Now my only option is to take the bulbs out but the LED bulbs get way too hot to remove with bare hands.Tried looking for the fuse box to disable it but I couldn't find it anywhere. Searched for a pair of tongs that would allow me to remove the bulbs without getting my fingers burnt but no luck. I need help real bad.

#3 · (Edited)
You might try buying one from a salvage car, and replacing it. You don't say what continent you reside in, but if in North America, try Potomac German Auto: Nations's Largest Since 1979. Often it is easier to call then and tell them what you need, rather than trying to use their extensive parts catalog. You might also try ebay, for example, http://www.ebay.com/sch/Interior-Lights-/33712/i.html?MMake=Mercedes-Benz&MModel=S500

You mentioned LED bulbs. If I recall correctly (I may be wrong on this point), through 2006, the OE bulbs in the W220 overheads were not LED, but incandescent (the interior door handles were illuminated with LEDs). There may have been a retrofit. However, some retrofit kits used LEDs that had the same shape as the OE incandescents.

A temporary solution might be to pull the fuse for the interior lights (if you don't have your fuse diagram, see the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1508080-w220-s-class-encyclopedia-start-here.html) and when the bulbs are cool, remove them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.