Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Thought I solved it! p2017 P2086

20K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  exparte99 
#1 ·
I got my first W220 on ebay. It had warnings for ABS, air suspension and BAS on the dash and a CEL. Power steering not working. After extensive reading on this site, I replaced the two rear speed sensors but didn't resolve warnings. I brought a MB II scanner and found a code for a bad front right sensor (should have bought scanner first). I got a front right speed sensor, jacked up the car, took off the wheel to find that the air strut and brake wear sensors were not plugged in at all - just hanging loose. The front right strut and brakes look very new. Somebody didn't plug the wires in well enough. I replaced that speed sensor, plugged everything in and all warning lights immediately disappeared.

Now the CEL... Codes are p2017 and p2086. I first cleaned the MAF. Didn't help. I replaced the MAF sensor with off-brand sensor. Didn't help. I spent an hour yesterday searching for vacuum leaks and found a loose connection (pictured). I reconnected the fitting to the hose, turned off CEL. Drove 45 minutes to work with no CEL. Went to lunch, upon restart CEL appeared again. Ordered a Bosch MAF which will arrive Friday.

If Bosch MAF sensor doesn't resolve problem, what do y'all suggest for next step? Fuel filter? Right oxygen sensor values at idle ranges from 0 to 1254.90 mV to 2509.80 mV and back to 0. Left O2 sensor gets to 3764.71 mV.

Any help much appreciated, Matt C

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
ahh this ..

Every time you reset this light, it will come back after you turn of the engine.
so if I reset now, and then drive for 10 hours .. i turn of the engine, when i turn it back on the light will come in about 5 mins.

You will need to change the very part the loose hose was attached to. ( it is expensive ).

Or, someone here posted a way to clean that part. Lets see if someone reposts that.

I have the same problem and this weekend may just fix it.

#3 ·
identity of pump/valve

Thanks for the response. Do you know what that part is called? Looks like a pump or valve for crankcase gas. I've been looking for it online but haven't found it or the hose/elbow that is fairly loose. Any help is appreciated. Matt C

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Found vacuum leak - right side of intake manifold

Following up on my post, I tried replacing the upstream right side O2 sensor because it was giving some odd readings and I thought it could cause my fault codes 2017 and 2086. While I was at hit, I replaced the valve cover gasket on the right side, spark plugs and coils. Spark plugs were in great condition. However, this DID NOT fix my problem with 2017 and 2086. I got the cheapest cigar I could find (strawberry flavored swisher sweet) and some hose. I put a rubber glove over the intake and tapped into a vacuum hose. I blew smoke into the vacuum hose and low and behold.... smoke came pouring out of the right side manifold, right next to cylinder three which previously gave me a misfire code.

I pulled the intake manifold off today and I will clean it up, replace all of the hoses, gaskets, etc. and get it back in next weekend.

#8 ·
Replaced Intake Manifold Gaskets - Problem Solved

My vacuum leak / unmetered air issue is now resolved after removing intake manifold and replacing the gaskets. I also replaced all hoses with new MB hoses. Total cost of parts < $100. This all started with a p2017 code. R/R intake manifold is not terribly difficult. The most fiddly parts are getting the wiring harness cover off and on. Also, the injection retaining clips and wire retainers on the injector electrical connectors are difficult to replace given the location of the fuel rail. Good idea to replace valve cover gaskets while it's apart. Best, Matt C

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.