Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help please...Car won't turn over

690 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Joseph Fletch 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I needed some help with my 2002 s430. I did some work on it (thermostat, radiator fan, filters, tranny mount) and now it won't start. Lights turn on, remotes both lock and unlock, power in dash and radio but does not start and won't get out of park. I have already gone through the w220 enc and it did not help.

Here is what I have done so far:

Replaced starter relay (L) and other ones (N) and (K).
Visual check of fuses ok.
rear junction box had 1 40a fuse blown, replaced whole part
passenger foot well junction box checked and no blown fuses
Battery had a bad cell, replaced with brand new gel battery
both keyes tried to start, no luck - both spin all the way.

I doubt it is the starter as it was perfectly fine before, doubt it's the shift column because never had an issue before, doubt it is EIS as I can turn the keyes all the way.

Any suggestions other than "take it to dealer or rep". Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate whenever these type of problems crop up on my car - best of luck.

Why was a 40 amp fuse blown?
Were the starter relay's replaced because of a fault? Are you sure the replacements are the correct fitment?
Having a battery not completely charged has given me fits before - is the new battery completely charged?
Not being able to shift out of park means that the ignition gateway is not opening.

#3 ·
Revisit the tranny mount installation first. If it was starting before then what changed after the mount install?

Stuck in park is a common problem. Have you tried to wiggle the shifter while trying to start? If the battery is good then my guess is the shifter interlock has moved out of position or failed, ie not telling the system that it is safe to start and in park.

Bob

#4 ·
Can you move the shift lever out of PARK (ignition on, brakes applied)?

If so, try starting it with the shift lever in different positions.

Make certain that an electrical connection isn't loose.

Do you hear any clicks or clacks when you move the key to the START position?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.