Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear diff leaking into drive shaft?

557 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  KevCarver 
#1 · (Edited)
Is that even possible? I came home to see a dark puddle seeping out from the front of my S430 today. It hasn't been driven since Thursday last week. The rear of the trans pan is wet and dripping, as well as the muffler support at the rear of the pan. Fluid is dark, maybe slightly green-ish. 100% for sure NOT RED! Trans fluid was drained and filled last year with Fuchs. It was red going in, I did it. It does slightly smell of the fluid I put in the rear end, not really of engine oil.
So, is that what it is? How screwed am I?

edit: Rear Wheel Drive car

#2 ·
Considering that the fluid would have to flow through the pinion, then the flex disc, into the driveshaft, through the U-joint, through the front of the driveshaft, and then through the flex disc...I think that's kind of unlikely.

I'd take a peek at your coolant. You can get a failure in the cooler that blends ATF and coolant, and not in a good way.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Has to be trans fluid

Right? Nothing else could come from that area, even though it isn't red. I guess it picked up enough dirt and grime on the way down the transmission exterior to turn brownish.
I still need to get out there and check the level. Is the dipstick (yes I have one) accurate enough at cold level to read a small leak? 1/8-1/4 quart?
While trying to back it up onto my ramps, I did notice a slight ping as it shifted from D to R, and/or vise versa...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.