Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Command/Audio random, HELP 2005 S430

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Pokseva 
#1 ·
Never had any issues with my command system before so I'm driving down road listening to my radio the other day and main screen pops up with Telephone Not Available screen. I didn't think much about it i thought I'd just tapped the tel button on the wheel so i push the audio button, no response, hmmm, I try other buttons all are completely unresponsive radio stays on same station volume knob on unit wont wotk also cant power off. It's stuck! I start messing with steering wheel and at least the steering wheel buttons for volume and scan up and down work but screen remains on a telephone unavailable screen(my car was never equipped with telephone and remains completly stock).
I hoped when i turned it off and back on it may right itself but after a few days, nothing. It finally changed to the radio screen yesterday and I was all happy thinking everything was fine. Nope, same as before just stuck on radio screen it does show the correct station if you scan using the steering wheel but all over buttons including CD eject remain non functional. I tried pulling the fuse and replacing no difference, tried pulling fuse driving a few miles and replacing, still the same.
At this point Im lost, Ive checked the encyclopedia and nothing. Can anyone help? I fear my Nav system may need replacement, havent checked prices yet but can't be cheap, pretty sure I cant afford replacement so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Car is 2005 S430 W/95k miles, it's well maintained and everything else seem to function perfectly.. thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Something that bizarre almost screams for some STAR time to get a list of errors. Otherwise, trying to trouble shoot that could entail quite a bit of trunk panel/rear seat removal and, at a guess, fiber optic bypassing of individual/multiple components.

This is a guess, other smarter more learned types may chime in.

#3 ·
Thanks Ex-Fed so if I read your post correctly, simple replacement may actually not have any effect on the situation at all? I have looked and used replacement units are in the $700 range so buying one for me isn't even an option.

Gotta love that radio, haha

Thanks

#4 ·
Well, It is possible that its not actually COMAND, The GPS processor is separate in the trunk with the CD changer, audio gateway ( radio tuner) and radio amplifiers. The TELEAID module is under the back seat and has its fingers in the cell phone system, GPS and audio gateway. Hence the suggestion that a STAR readout of the entire system may be in order.

#5 · (Edited)
I agree fully with Ex-Fed's advice. You can expend considerable time and effort trying to troubleshoot; and this is very different from the "loss of audio" problems that we see, and for which we do have some simple troubleshooting steps.

There are several fuses for the devices connected to audio system, and to isolate it you would need to pull them all. Perhaps a simpler thing to do would be to disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes, then reconnect. If you do that, also be aware of post 14 http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1302190-ive-had-2.html#post2216730 - you may not have to reset everything, but if you need it, it is there.

There is no guarantee disconnecting the battery will fix the problem - and if it doesn't, without STAR diagnosis you could wind up just throwing expensive parts at the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.