Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Car occasionally fails to crank / start

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  eric242340 
#1 ·
My dad's 2004 s430 sometimes will not start, does not even turn over or crank. It is intermittent and random. Often he will get an ESP error when it does this. I cannot remember the exact error but I'll ask him to take a photo next time it happens. It doesn't do this all of the time, but is happening more frequent.

When it first began happening about 8 months ago we had the battery changed, but the issue would still occur. Sometimes the rear red tail lights (not the yellow parking or hazard light) will blink on and off after he turns off the car. Not sure if that is related. It is a bit strange and not sure where to begin. When it happens my dad will try repeatedly until it finally start up like normal. Sometimes he will just wait about 5 or 10 minutes and then it starts right up.

Thank you.

*PS we are also getting the fuel pump replaced soon as it has since begun humming/vibrating under the driver side rear seat. But I think the fuel pump noise and the car not starting may be two separate issues because when the car is not starting it is not even cranking/turning over. I may be wrong though so I mention it.

#2 ·
When it fails to crank has he tried his spare key?

#3 ·
The spare key is essentially my mom's key and my dad tried it but it doesn't work at all. Even on days when the car is starting up fine with my Dad's key, if he tries my mom's key it doesn't do anything at all. Like it is an invalid key. Could this possibly be key related and the keys are going bad? My mom's key was working at some point (but she doesn't drive often at all so it would not get used much).

Thanks

#4 ·
It could be the EIS that is developing a fault (Electronic Ignition Switch) or it could be the key. Having a second working key is a must really.

The third thing it could be is the transmission shift lever module, have any drinks or fluids been spilt on or near the shift lever?

#5 ·
He likes his coffee alot, so I bet he's spilled some in the past ten years. But he is usually pretty careful and I don't think he would spill a whole cup, probably just little spills. I'll ask him about that.

Interestingly he did just have the transmission valve body replaced last month (costing him about $1600 - $1800 USD in parts and labor I think). It was not shifting sometimes. But he says it is shifting okay now after having that repair. He was hoping that it might also fix the starting issue but it didn't.

I'll tell him about the possibility of the Electronic Ignition Switch and also suggest he get the keys reprogrammed to work. Hopefully doesn't need to replace the keys since I think they can be expensive ($350 USD or so).

Thank you again.

#6 ·
The key , ignition switch and shifter are all part of a mated package of anti theft components . Some eBay sellers sell all of these items together out of wrecked cars as they must be a matched set to work

They are all common failure points that could result in a no crank condition

#11 ·
I'm wondering what might be the best way to diagnose to be sure. Would it make sense for us to first reprogram the keys and if that doesn't resolve the issue, have them look at the ignition switch, and then the shifter? In that order? Or should they be able to diagnose and identify the failure in these components using their computers?

THank you.

Edit: We've scheduled an appointment for next week to have the car looked over. We are also ordering a new 2nd key.

#8 ·
The battery inside the key is for the lock/unlock function and has nothing to do with starting the car.

#10 ·
LOL join the club mate, I just posted on the 140 forum and realised I had not seen a 140 for about 10 years now. We are working on the 221/222 nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.