Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Humming sound under rear seat

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  YGOHOME 
#1 ·
My Dad has a 2004 S430. It does not have the adjustable rear seat option. There is a humming sound coming from the back seat area when the car is running. It doesn't do it when key is turned on for just electrical, only when the car engine is running.

I got in the back while the car was idling and the humming seems to be from under the driver side rear seat cushion. What is under the driver side rear seat? Is there a pump of some sort? I can actually feel slight vibrations that are under the driver side that are not on the passanger side and seems to be related to the humming.

Also, what is the difficulty rating of removing the rear seat cushions if I needed to access whatever is under there? I'm pretty adept, but I don't want to touch it if I don't think I can get it back together.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Fuel pump is under the car directly beneath the seat, you get to it from under the car, no need to lift the seat.

#4 ·
If it makes that much noise then maybe it is time to change it but I would advise changing the filter also, filter is just next to the pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.