Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

what is this noise (video)

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mercy-me 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I recently acquired a w220 , it is a 2000 S500 and I have a ticking/rattling noise that is audible both inside and outside the car, it is present at all rpms but is is louder and seems to be faster paced at higher engine load meaning it "ticks" faster and louder the more I accelerate. It does not effect the performance of the car, and is extremely faint at idle, but as you can imagine it is quite irritating. I have searched the threads and I have found similar posts but they always point to the CATS as being the culprit so I'd like to mention that I have modified the exhaust meaning it is all straight pipes from the headers to the AMG mufflers at the rear. So it must be something else in my case. Please find the attached video and thank you in advance for any responses. Cheers

http://youtu.be/hDYXpYYuF-s

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Your audio/video does not give a clear and discernible noise to make a good guess of your problem. You say you are running straight pipes from header back to rear muffler meaning you are not running with Cats? Regardless, if you had this sound before removing and assuming it was Cats coming apart to begin with, then removing and replacing, or eliminating the Cats did not solve your original problem. I replaced my Cats because they had come apart and it sounded like a box of rocks or marbles rolling around inside and louder at higher rpm. When I removed my Cats surprisingly I looked down the rear pipe and saw chunks of the honey comb stuck in their. I had to use screw drivers and needle nose pliers to dislodge and remove. So, what I'm saying is the rocks may still be in the rear pipe. Have you considered putting the car on a lift or jacking it up high enough to climb under and have someone start the motor and rev it a little to attempt to find where sound is emanating from? Be very careful as that is dangerous crawling under a car with the engine running. Smart approach might be to crawl under the car (with engine not running) and tap on the pipes at various locations to see if the sound appears.

deucer

#5 ·
I have found similar posts but they always point to the CATS as being the culprit so I'd like to mention that I have modified the exhaust meaning it is all straight pipes from the headers to the AMG mufflers at the rear. So it must be something else in my case.

http://youtu.be/hDYXpYYuF-s
I couldn't hear any noises either. As Duecer says, may be pieces of Cat rattling around in the pipes. You can smack the pipes with a rubber mallet and listen. That's how I determined that my left side Cat was rattling.

After installing the Cat delete straight pipes, how did you deal with the O2 sensors fore and aft of the front Cats??

Good luck,

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.