Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2000 mercedes S 500 power issue at Eis switch.

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Kings Repairs 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone i am hoping someone has some knowledge or has experienced this issue and got it resolved,first time posting here. I purchased this car that was not starting, worked out some of the issues and got it started, however the problem is when i insert the key the Eis does not reciognize it and the reason for this there is no power at the switch from the secondary set of wires that are plugged on the Eis. Let me clarify there are two sets of wires that go to the Eis there is one set with four wires that has power in both of them and then there is another set with 8 smaller wires on it that set of wires has red wire has no power and it always be hot. I therefore had to bridge power from one of the set of wires that is in the group of 4 get power to that smaller red wire and this got the car started.The issue is once started the accelerator does not recognize this and therefore does not react, neither does the Ecu. The car idles fine and also i took my pedal out of the s500 and tried it in the s430 and it works fine. I have check every relay and fuses both side of engine plus rear sam also passenger side fuse block and one in the trunk all are fine. i dont have the wiring diagram for this car. I am hoping someone can help me out with this.Thanks.

#2 ·
i had a problem with my EIS, which caused problems with just about everything else, including the throttle.

one fault can cause a communication problem and other electronics on the car will start playing up.

i took a gamble and sent the EIS and key away to be repaired, once fitted the car fired up and the electronic/communication problems disappeared

#5 ·
Autotronics in Leicester, chap called Nilesh.

There is a handful of people around who do it but Niliesh had the best review and I was more than happy with h.

There is a place called Revtronics in Bradford also know as capital FX for some odd reason, but they can do some remarkable things with electronics, never asked them about they ESI but they fitted a second speedo and refurbished and reprogrammed.

#6 ·
If the EIS is not getting power, why think the EIS is faulty? Surely you need to find out why it is not getting power. Any fault codes?

#13 ·
Hi,

OK, well you're not in UK, so I can't recommend anyone from my Contacts.

However, have you actually removed EVERY Fuse on the Car and physically checked them with a light bulb tester, that is the first thing I'd do. Visual Check can sometimes look ok when they are not !!

Get a Copy of WIS / EPC Discs, then you can enter your VIN and get the correct Fuse Diagrams and Wiring Diagrams for your Car.
This will show you how many Connections the dead Wire goes through etc. You can follow the Wire that is dead back to each Connector, and will be able to see where it gets its feed from :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

#14 ·
We all know about assumptions - but one would assume that someone would have tried to check the connections at the EIS unit, and would have then traced the appropriate wires back to see where the power disappeared.

Since this is the W220 Forum, most of us aren't very knowledgeable about the W202. Is the EIS powered thru under-floor fuses, fuses in a SAM, or something else?

#15 ·
Hi Wally,

My point was that they may not have the Wiring Diagrams, Connector locations etc, and without that I can't imagine anyone, (let alone the average Joe Garage Mechanic), stripping the Dash Out and un taping the Loom to find out where one Wire goes :wink

~£10 on a set of WIS / EPC Discs would be a good investment on that one !!

C Class does not have Pre Fuses Under Floor, well my W203 doesn't, on mine they are up by the Battery under Hood, but I doubt that will be supplying power via the Small Connector, it will be one of the Regular Fuses :wink

Cheers Dave

#17 ·
Hi Wally,

:laugh

I like your assumptions and less technical ideas :thumbsup:

A lot of times because of what I'm doing all day long, (mostly stuff others have failed to fix), I tend to over think things and miss the obvious :rolleyes:

Yes, I do agree with you, in an ideal world I'd too like to think that a "Garage" has checked that wire through all of it's connectors, and right back to it's feed.

Sadly, over the many years, my experiences of "Garage Workmanship", (particularly more technical Diagnostics), in both South England and Scottish Highlands usually suggests otherwise :frown

Cheers Dave

#18 ·
I know this is a very old post but was there a solution to this issue. I have a 2000 w220 s430 and I have similar issues. My key is not recognized when I insert it. The big red and pink wire have 12v but the small red wire only has 7-8v and if I jump the small red wire to give it 12v my key is recognized and turns the engine over but not starting. All the fuses are good on all 3 sams. Brand new battery. Any help will be appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.