Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Front suspension squeaks and creaks in warm weather.

11K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  atmsmshr 
#1 ·
Gonna fix a couple things on my 2000 s430 and park it. I was gonna sell it, but decided to just park it and fix it over time. Ive noticed over the last couple years, that when the summer comes, my front suspension starts squeaking and creaking on BOTH sides. Is this a sign of just needing lubrication??

#2 ·
It's all sealed pieces, so I don't know what you'd lube...or how. Common for sway (torsion) bar bushings and links to do this, but there are other possibilities.

Since you're going to DIY, and without knowing the miles or maintenance history, I'd start with a full inspection and have a friend help, bouncing and pulling and pushing etc. while you listen and observe. A pry bar will help, too.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Try looking for cracks in the rubber bushings of your control and thrust arms using a good light and inspection mirror. (Ensure jack stands are used before going underneath the car) Another weak point is if the bushing is shot, the control arm contacts the subframe causing squeaks evidenced by rub marks.

See photo for bushing cracks.

Strongly recommend using quality replacement parts like Lemfoerder and/or Arnott.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hello gents. This is of course assumes the squeak or creek will do it while the vehicle is parked.

My uncle was a mechanic and I remember him showing me how to find squeaks & creeks in the front end of a car. Have someone sitting inside the car to turn the wheel back & forth just enough to make the squeak.....while someone else is laying down on their back, carefully putting their hand on different front end components. The creek sound will transfer from one part to the other, but where you "feel" the creek the worst is probably your problem child.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.