Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2003 S55 Coolant loss More info

17K views 49 replies 6 participants last post by  SChalmers 
#1 ·
So I decided to put my plates from my S430 on the S55 and drive to my temp job. The reason is the weather has actually warmed up by the afternoon.

Morning rush hour traffic moderate, took surface streets. Not really stop and go but there was some sitting.
Car did not over heat, was about 5ºC had the heater on medium. Car drove fine. It did get up to operating temp fairly quickly. It was about 25km/15 miles one way.

After work started the car up sat there till it dropped from high start up idle, back out of my spot and the check coolant warning message came on. Checked the level it was low. The overflow tank was filled up to the proper level according to the posts on other threads. It did have a little pressure in the system as I had it running for a few minutes

Top up the tank, had to use distilled water the only thing I could get. Took two litres.

Driving home the car drove the same: tons power, smooth ran about 80ºC-85ºC even in stop and go traffic, actually had to sit without moving for about 5-8 minutes right on the car in front of me bumper. Still in the above range.

Drove home no pressure in the coolant system. Then I found this the oil filler cap was milky and steam coming out. The oil filler cap was spotless from any milky residue before I drove the car.
There was no smoke from the tailpipes when I got to work or home.

Fashion accessory Button Jewellery Ring Metal

Auto part Wheel

Auto part Wheel

See less See more
1 3
#46 ·
I like that. Makes prefect sense now(Damifino).

I am pretty chilled on this just like I said preparing for the worst. If you are ready to tackle the worst and it turns out simple then it is amazing. If does turn out to be bad well you are ready for it and will not be completely pissed.

I do have the pressure tester built to use the supply/return lines for the washer heating system. I did forget two hose clamps but will grab them from my brother in law tomorrow at the Chrysler Dealership. He does have some coolant dye might grab that as well.

#48 ·
Yes it should be connected to a water gallery, No I don't think it is likely to be the leak. Yes it is possible for there to be crack in the water gallery of the head leading to the oil. As I stated I think the most likely place is the timing cover.

#50 ·
I do not think that pipe is between the oil and coolant gallery

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...55-coolant-loss-more-info-4.html#post12000729

Go back to that link.

You are spending more time hypothesizing than troubleshooting.
Yes you are very correct, now that the nice weather is here I what to get this car back up and running.
This temp job is really gutting my time to work on it, I think this is why more time is spend hypothesizing then finding the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.