Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Broken Key Advice

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  oceanliner 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone. The photo says it all, including PANIC. The plastic over the "lock" button has simply crumbled away. The key still works for all functions but I'm concerned about something getting inside the button or moisture.

I was wondering if anyone has a DIY repair that they would share? I'm not to keen on duct tape or some other sort of "repair", but could I change the plastic case?

It looks like I might need to start gathering all of my proof of ownership documents and a handful of cash, and heading to the dealer for a new key.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
You can look at the sticky in the W210 thread, too. Pictures, descriptions, etc.

I bought a nice leather cover for the new shell; it takes lots of the abuse.

Good luck.

Reactions: luigi4
#8 ·
This is why BenzWorld is so great!!!

I started this thread thinking that I would need to probably buy a new key for $250+, with the second key not far behind. But thanks to the help and encouragement of members like luigi4, instead of $500 for new keys, I spent $16 on two new shells and 20 minutes of video later....just like brand new.

Thank you luigi4!

Life Membership on this board is a bargain!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.