Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Talk me out of 2005 S55, now ongoing life with!

20K views 99 replies 16 participants last post by  compaddict 
#1 ·
It has 98k, everything works except the drivers side vac assist and it goes down the road perfect. I love all the amenities. The fuel mileage is not the best.. But I am willing to live with that.
Any glaring issues why I should avoid?
TIA,
Vince

#2 ·
be prepared to spend money each year to keep it maintained. I know I couldn't afford mine without doing all the maintenance myself.

Reactions: nathanD.rector
#49 · (Edited)
THIS..........im currently debating on either selling or parting out my 2000 s430 for that very reason. The stuff is piling up now. I currently have either a radiator fan or radiator fan motor going out. IF its a simple fix, im gonna keep the car. If not, im seriously thinking about moving on from this ship and dry docking her. Ive got oil issues to fix, a sometimes faulty ignition problem ( comes and goes, battery checks out, but could still be the battery), trunk works when it wants to. NO radio, it went out. Tensioner going on the front of the engine. Im looking at a good 4,000 dollars to bring it back to tip top shape and thats not including anything that could go wrong AFTER plowing that money into it.... I know these issues seem small, but as a whole, its starting to add up big time. Just fixing the radiator problem COULD cost me over a thousand bucks.

Its a nice pretty car, gets lots of compliments, but its gonna start draining me. Im trying to decide whether to fix it up, or take that SAME MONEY and get a used toyota corolla or volkswagen jetta. No more bling for me. Just want a cheap, point a to point b vehicle for now.........

#3 ·
You are looking at the exact car I want so it would be hard to talk you out of. If you do decide to buy it get a pre purchase inspection. ABC expensive to repair a well maintained car is great and will require repairs, but if it was not maintained you can end up spending more money and less time driving. Nobody wants their car sitting at shop then in their driveway ready to go

#5 ·
They are not bad on the highway on gas. City driving kills them, it is almost like two different cars. I get about 800km/500 miles to a tank highway. I do have a pretty heavy foot 130-140 KPH/ 80-87 MPH. In the city I am getting about 220 km/136 miles per 1/2 tank. I like to fill mine at 1/2 tank seems easier on the wallet.
Any S-Class is not going to give great fuel economy.
A S55 kompressor is a true sports sedan running with 490 hp, fuel economy was not top on the engineers list. For what you are getting the MPH is really not bad. A 500 hp Camero will not give you the same MPH and let you sit four comfortably

#7 ·
have him do a DAS quick test, clear faults and retest. Whatever is left remaining is real.

Reactions: nathanD.rector
#11 ·
The car had one fault after going through with Star system. A small evap leak. It looks like it has a small VC oil leak as well.
My guy didn't recommend doing the RODEO test on the ABC.
He has experience doing the coil over kit on w220s.
I had my favorite body shop look at it and he says, if it has been painted.. He can't tell.
I think I'm going to jump.:grin

#14 ·
Such a nice car!
I'm a bit overwhelmed with the interfaces and command system though.
Glad I got the AMG.
Have to figure out some positive air flow so I can smoke my cigars.
I broke the car in with a nice Cuban on the way home.
On order personalized plates "APEX AMG".

Attachments

#24 ·
Hey Vince, Hope you are enjoying your earthbound rocket ship. I tested a 2006 S55 yesterday in SF with 120K on the clock. Not as pretty as yours but seemed well maintained and solid. What did you wind up paying?(I'm at 13K for this one). And do you mind sharing your mechanic's name\shop? Rather go to an independent than MB SF to get a PPI.

#25 ·
Wouldn't be this one would it?
Cars for Sale: 2005 Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94118: Sedan Details - 393079459 - AutoTrader.com
I am taking members advice and looking State side for a S55. Not buying one right now, as the exchange rate from Canadian to US funds is horrid. The $12,888 before taxes works out to $16,196.50.
Right now just seeing what is out there. I actually do get paid in US from a wire service I freelance for, so thinking of keeping that money separate to help offset the exchange rate.

#26 ·
It is that one. Drove it for about 45 mins and crawled all over it. Checked VMI and dealership did some repairs via independent shop but want an PPI. local mb dealership is booked for 2 weeks.

Nice car at reasonable price. has it's share of faults - SF cars take a beating even if garaged.

#29 ·
Can you take some better / closer pictures of the LED day time running lights. Maybe see if there are some part numbers or a name. I like the looks of this style more that others I've seen...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.