Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Keep having to reset trunk fuse for proper operation

12K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Captainricks 
#1 ·
My 2000 S430 trunk won't open with remote or driver's side release. I can reset by pulling fuse 20amp under rear seat and trunk will work fine for two or three days but again stops working until it is reset again any help with this would be appreciated. Getting annoying.

#2 ·
It's got a leak and the computer shuts it down to prevent the PSE pump from burning up. Pulling the fuse resets this for long enough to let you diagnose it.
Reset the fuse, stand at the trunk with your key, hit the release and listen for something hissing from the area above the license plate.
Most importantly, look at the top of the W220 page at the sticky labeled W220 S CLASS ENCYCLOPEDIA START HERE. Read through that post until you get to the PSE section, and read through that. All questions should be answered there.

#6 ·
Does the mechanism where the metal blade key and push button above the rear license plate go bad also? Does it need to be replaced or fixed along with the lock latch acuator? Also some forums talk about the SAM how can this be eliminated as a source of the problem?

#7 ·
The key mechanism should be oiled occasionally, and should be exercised a couple of times a year.

It is not likely to be the SAM -your problems are a textbook example of a leaking actuator. A free and relatively easy fix if you do it before you burn out the pump...

While it can be frustrating to research and understand the problems, it is much, much less frustrating and expensive in the long run than paying the dealer...

#8 ·
Continuing saga on my S430 trunk . I decided that I would replace trunk lock actuator instead of repairing per you tube videos. Worked for 3 days then quit working. Then I noticed the trunk courtesy lights weren't working I pulled on the cord (it seems to be on a spring recoil) and I hear a click the courtesy lights came on and remote and soft close started working. There seems to be a short in the trunk wiring harness. How difficult of a job is this to replace? Also can there be any connection between driver's seat control module and the trunk operation?

#9 ·
Aarrgggh.

It is a nasty thing, the retractor box is above the upper trunk lining and it is fastened to the shelve under the rear window from inside (as I am informed currently). I tried and failed to open the box from the trunk get access to the broken wire. /
I have minor but annoying problem: the left plate light is out and triggers malfunction warning every time I switch on the lights.
When the trunk lid is fully open, the light works. When the lid is halfway down, the light goes off.

Ugly solution considered temporary: I put tight rubber lined clamp on the harness sheaf at the bottom, and it does not let the sheaf slide back to the box.
So far so good, the light works and no error message.

#10 ·
Update on the harness retractor: the information I passed on in the previous post is wrong.

The box can be easily removed from the trunk.
First find a hole on the bottom cover, it is actually a plug pushed up into another large snap-in
fastener. Pry the the plug with a screwdriver and pull it down about half an inch.
Next pry gently the whole box at the side where hole was located until the fastener pops out and pull the box toward the rear of the car.

The box can be opened by careful manipulation of. Then comes the bigger problem to to locate the broken wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.