Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

can headlight ballast be rebuilt?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  kengarchow 
#1 ·
i think i have a bad ballast and was shocked by the dealer price $900, so was wondering if i can repair or rebuild it?
thanks

#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
ok i see now your working on a post face lift headlight i believe
i don't think same ballast is on the pre FL HL

but i will press on for a way to avoid the 950 ballast for sure

have seen my ballast type on ebay eta around same price you mention

i thought it would be gtrst if i could do an internal repair in the ballast as i have down on a few other mercedes items such as my mirror lights, TCM and ABS pump

seen any articles about fixing the ballasts?

#5 ·
I have not seen an article on repairing the ballasts, but some of those available online have indeed been repaired - so it can be done. I just don't have any reference for doing it.

Yes, the ballasts may be different between pre- and post-facelift - but the point is that there are a number of ballasts with different MB part numbers that substitute; the sites that offer your exact part number may provide the part numbers for the substitutes. And, by searching all the part numbers, you may find some at reasonable prices. The same parts may also be sold by other car manufacturers, brand new, but a much lower prices than Mercedes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.