Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Question about the Star Diagnosis

34K views 115 replies 23 participants last post by  Paul600600 
#1 · (Edited)
how could I increase the radiator fan speed in a w220 using the star diagnosis C3
if someone teaches me that would be great...
by the way i know it's wrong to do that but i seriously need to do it for one specific car of my collection: a 2002 S320 Japan

#4 ·
it in the ECU module in SDS. google it, there are write-ups over at MB world in the W211 section sticky. its easy to do with SDS (aka DAS, STAR)

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Adjusting Engine Electric Suction Fan (Cooling Fan) Threshold Temperature

After the valuable tips given above, I have been playing with my STAR DAS and the settings for the Engine Electric Suction Fan (Cooling Fan) Threshold Temperature and the corresponding Temperature Correction Value.
By changing the temperature at which the cooling fan on my 2003 W220 S500L comes on to a lower value, I have improved the performance of the car’s air conditioning on hot days. The air coming from the cabin vents now feels sharp (cold) even when the car is idling at traffic lights. Before the adjustment, the cabin became noticeably and uncomfortably warmer after idling for a few minutes.
Note my air conditioner is permanently left on at 22°C or 23°C in automatic mode. In my opinion the ACC now works as M-B intended, that is completely effectively, even in extremely hot climates, and quite unobtrusively, befitting the performance and elegance of an ‘S’ Class.
On MBWorld and BenzWorld Internet Forums this modification is commonly called the STAR ‘-10’ mod which can be extremely confusing. Using a lot of trial and error I have attempted to understand and explain what the terms Threshold Temperature and Temperature Correction Value really mean.
Detailed Engine Coolant Temperature versus time graphs (before and after adjusting the Temperature Correction Value are shown.
In the process I discovered a fabulous tool for wirelessly logging data from my car to my Smart Phone and Desktop Computer. I also devised a method for automatically logging the engine coolant temperature versus time. The commencement of rotation of the Engine Cooling Fan had to be monitored visually.
Against the advice of many Internet sites, I purchased a Super Mini ELM327 On Board Diagnostic (OBD) Wireless Adapter from a Chinese source on eBay and an Android App for reading the associated data. To say the least I have been very impressed with the capability that was achieved with this combination, rivalling much more expensive instruments, at a very modest cost.
If anyone knows how to change the settings for ACC Parameters NR.92: and NR.93: using the SDS without M-B Dealer approval I would be very interested.
Regards,
Brian
Attachment: STAR DAS Adjusting Engine Cooling Fan Threshold Temperature.pdf has been deleted here, and replaced by a more current one at post 49 below.

#9 ·
If anyone knows how to change the settings for ACC Parameters NR.92: and NR.93: using the SDS without M-B Dealer approval I would be very interested.
I believe this will work..for 03-06 S500's. Earlier than 03 and there is no CGW.

Hook up STAR

go through opening menu choices including Rest Of World (MOST)
under MAIN GROUPS, select "Control Units"
then "Body"
then "CGW-Central Gateway"
then "Control Unit Adaptations"
then "Read coding and change if necessary"
then "Climate Control"
then "National Version Climate Control"
on the right side select "Hot Countries"
Further down is "Electric Suction Fan" default is 25%, you can select 25, 30 or 40 per cent.
That may alter #92 and #93. Will go out and try it as soon as Spousal Unit gets home.. Will advise.

#10 ·
Rice, does your star have developer mode? I was wondering if the approval page goes away if you have developer mode. I can try it if you don't and let you know.

#11 ·
I can answer that.. no, developer mode has no effect on needing permissions ( password ) for the " special settings ".

#15 ·
Very interesting! A year or so back, I had to make a run out to Odessa, Tx. and of course, it was the middle of summer too. On the way back I noticed that it was becoming a little uncomfortable as if the A/C wasn't putting out enough cool air with the settings at "Auto" 72F. So, I toggled the levels down as low as it would go temp. wise and it seemed to help. When I got home, I did a gauge check and system appeared to be correct and not needing any R134. For the most part, the a/c seems to be functioning correctly now, but after reading this Post, I' m wondering if maybe I need to fire up my DAS and perform a little exploratory surgery based on input from "ricebubbles, jnash and ex-fed". Ya'll think the +5 setting might be the best? Great topic and great input guys!

deucer

#16 ·
Ya'll think the +5 setting might be the best? Great topic and great input guys!

deucer
Oh HAIL yeah! Just remember, the radiator isn't the only thing getting air flow from the cooling fan, so is the A/C condenser. Anything much more than +5 will have your fan running ALOT more at higher settings and noisier.

A couple other things as long as your getting DAS hooked up, do the HOT COUNTRIES thing. I think that will up the compressor duty cycle some -and- turn OFF footwell cooling. Get more cool air on the sweaty parts and not on the loafers. Boosts airflow into back seat area also. Can always turn it back on for winter.

#17 · (Edited)
Ok, got it set at +5, but had to use ricebubbles' pdf file to get their. I tried ex-fed's method, but using that path when I got to the point of "CGW-Central Gateway", it was not their. Their was nothing listed under Body that I could enter with respect to Climate Control or A/C. I went back one page and chose DRIVE instead of Body. Inside DRIVE I selected ME2-SFI Motor Electronics, accepted Safety reading, then went to Control Unit adaptions. That took me to Correction Programming. Lastly I clicked Electric Suction Fan, etc... and then hit F5 to increase to +5C then F2 to store. Never saw anything that would allow me to enter the Hot Countries thing. Hell it's Hot here now and it's cloudy and I'm not more then 50 miles from you! Where did I go wrong? And no, I ain't leaving for an even hotter climate either! Well wait a minute; Costa Rica wouldn't be too bad now that I think about it.

Saeed Amini, please forgive my input and questions sir. I certainly did not mean to highjack your POST. I only hope some of this discussion is helpful and meaningful for you also.

#18 ·
I guess I wasn't clear.. Ricebubbles is the +5 to engine cooling fan. My path is for the HOT COUNTRIES and basic ventilation settings, as well as footwell I think. Let me go back thru and see if I didn't leave out a step.

Random thought.. your 02 model may differ a bit from my 06 in the menu structure of DAS. More research is called for.

UPDATE: Egads..you are correct, apparently the CGW didn't come into existence till the 03 model year.

#35 ·
Hello Ex-Fed

I guess you missed updating this part of the information ...

Please tell us the menu path , DAS -> Control Module -> ?? for the hot countries modification !

it's 115 F, and i'm melting away !!!

Thanks and best regards.

#19 ·
I'm running C3 DAS also, but logic says that shouldn't affect files and profile.

Originally Posted by Ex-Fed View Post
I believe this will work..

Hook up STAR

go through opening menu choices including Rest Of World (MOST)
under MAIN GROUPS, select "Control Units" Don't recall seeing this option
then "Body"
then "CGW-Central Gateway" Not there
then "Control Unit Adaptations"
then "Read coding and change if necessary"
then "Climate Control"
then "National Version Climate Control"
on the right side select "Hot Countries"
Further down is "Electric Suction Fan" default is 25%, you can select 25, 30 or 40 per cent.

#20 ·
I'm running C3 DAS also, but logic says that shouldn't affect files and profile.

You are 100% correct. The CGW was a 2003 model year innovation, along with MOST, etc etc. So my 06 has a largely different DAS menu structure.

#22 ·
That reminds me Dean, I have the ELM327 Interface that supports all OBD II protocols and have never tried it. I assume it Bluetooths to your cell phone, which means you need a program to run on your phone, correct? So, what you're saying is you can actually read the Climate Control program settings and adjust from your phone on the Fly (metaphorically speaking)?

#23 ·
#25 · (Edited)
Thanks to ‘Ex-Fed’s experience we can now change the setting for ACC ‘Electric Suction Fan (basic ventilation)’. In the W220 there are three possible settings; 25%, 30% or 40%. (Interestingly in a SLK350 I checked recently there were four possible settings, 20%, 25%, 30% and 40%.) The coding change is easily achieved but requires the use of a STAR Diagnostic Assistance System.

This achieves a better result for improving the performance of the air conditioner at idle, compared with the method of Adjusting the Engine Cooling Fan Threshold Temperature.

Skylaw has updated my document STAR DAS Adjusting Engine Cooling Fan Threshold Temperature at Post #6 above to Version 2 in which I have added a new Section which shows how I changed the ACC ‘Electric suction fan (25% basic ventilation)’ to ‘Electric suction fan (30% basic ventilation)’. I have also put my Engine Cooling Fan Threshold Temperature back to the OEM setting of 0 degrees.

In the process of using DAS to make these changes I discovered several new definitions for the ACC parameters. Skylaw has updated my document at
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1632652-w220-s-class-automatic-climate-control.html
to W220 Automatic Climate Control Service Menu Version 4.

As always, any corrections, suggestions, changes, new additions or thoughts much appreciated.
Regards,
Brian

#28 ·
Developer Mode is in German because its meant for factory techs only. Allows delving into factory level settings/programming on about everything in the car. You can do some interesting things and you can make your car a smoking hole too :) I have walked thru a bunch of menus and such and frankly walked right back out. Lived 3 years in Germany and wished I had paid a bit more attention to learning the language and less time making beer disappear.

#32 ·
No, STAR works a bit differently than most OBD II readers. It does not just show a code. The first thing you will do, after getting STAR completely set up and running properly, is run a QUICK CHECK of all the control units in the car. It will list each control unit and show either a check mark for pass, no codes. or an -F- for Fail, codes present.

After the Quick Test you can click on a control unit that shows an -F- and STAR will take you to that particular units page. On that page will be a menu, one of the menu items will be FAULT CODES. Clicking on that will generate a list of all fault codes for that unit. They will be 2 types, STORED, meaning it happened before and either was repaired or reset it self. Or it will say CURRENT, meaning that fault is still present. The faults, both STORED and CURRENT will have the code listed as well as a short description of the problem.

For instance, during the Quick Test, your Navigation Unit shows an -F- . Selecting that, then FAULT CODES you find a code D011 shown. STAR also shows that as "The supply voltage of the control unit is too high"

The above is a much simplified description of what STAR can do, but I hope it will at least answer your question.

Reactions: johnksss
#39 · (Edited)
Well damn. I should have known that headlight answer. "facepalm" Since I have that error stored. :D

Also, will check for the max cool as well as the hot countries setting. I could have sworn I seen it.

Edit: Ex-Fed
Do you see the special setting menu?
And if so, do you see the 3 settings listed?

Edit:
My 2001 has "hot countries" listed and no maxcool setting.

#44 ·
Edit: Ex-Fed
Do you see the special setting menu?
And if so, do you see the 3 settings listed?

Edit:
My 2001 has "hot countries" listed and no maxcool setting.

How strange.. I put in several 2001 S430 VIN's ( pulled of cargurus.com) into Xentry-Sim and all I get is MAXCOOL. On the special settings menu I am required to have a password. The only thing I can think of you have a really late MY build and fell over into the 2002 and up category maybe.

#43 ·
First, check network adaptor settings in your VMware player. Not knowing what program you are using you will have to find it yourself. Ensure it is set to "Bridged (automatic)" or words to that effect, also ensure that "Connect at power up" is selected, or words that effect.

Next, start your VM up and check the network settings in your virtual XP.

Start
control panel
network connections
double click LAN or High Speed Internet, new window pops up

select properties
In the window under " This connection uses the following items;"
highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and double click, another new window pops up, on the GENERAL tab of the new pop up, ensure "OBTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY" is selected as well as "OBTAIN DNS SERVER ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY".

go to ALTERNATE CONFIGURATION tab

Ensure AUTOMATIC PRIVATE IP ADDRESS is selected.

Click OK on the 2 pop up windows, then CLOSE on the last 2 open windows.

You may also have to check your router to ensure DHCP is active on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.