Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ABS, ESP, BAS warning, help?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Racekar 
#1 ·
I was coming to a gentle stop when the drivers side front tire went into ABS mode, possibly 3 to 4 cycles before I fully stopped. It was dry out and I was not stoping short in any way. After taking off and driving I noticed all the warning lights and displays. Nothing seems wrong, I have a Actron code checker and nothing shows on that. I know some MB codes can only be read by the star system but it does read ABS codes and there were none found.

I tried to cheat by disconnecting the battery to clear them, no luck they are still there. I have read the encyclopedia about the problem and tried the steering wheel reset, didn't work.

Others have mentioned that their power steering feels different but mine has not changed. I was thinking about taking a shot at replacing the wheel speed sensor on that front wheel, since it did the weird ABS stop just before the warning lights came on.

#4 · (Edited)
My 2000 W202 had ESP problems. The front left brake would grab at random, and then the ESP BAS light would come on. It turned out to be the Yaw Rate Sensor (aka Turn Rate Sensor). They cost $1600 dollars from the dealer. I found one on German eBay for about $60 and it works fine.

Later the accelerometer sensor went bad, again an eBay part fixed the problem for $35.00.

It turns out Mercedes has updated these parts over the years, so there are different part numbers. It is easy to find the part numbers on EPC.

I recommend getting the codes read and then finding the part you need. I was able to install the parts myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.