Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Turn Signal Indicator Problems

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GLK3502012 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 S430 and the turn signal indicator fault message is on. I've confirmed that the rear driver turn indicator light is out. The front and the indicator in the side view is working.

What is troubling is that when I swapped out the bulb for the one from the passenger side it still didnt work indicating it wasn't a burned bulb.

Does anyone have any idea what else I can check? I'd like to try and fixit before havimg to take it to the shop.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
Your driver side turn signal has different bulbs than the passenger side, in one of the slots. The difference is because of the rear fog light on the driver side. If you put the wrong bulb in the socket, you'll still get the error. Somewhere on the forum, this is posted, with diagrams, but I cannot locate the bookmark to it.

BE SURE you have the same kind of bulb installed that you took out.

Other than that, a corroded socket has been known to cause the problem you describe.

#3 ·
One other tip - in some instances you have to let the CAN bus go to sleep and clear the error code - about 3-4 minutes with the key out of the ignition and doors closed. Just discovered that with a corroded side marker lamp troubleshoot and replace.

#4 ·
Thank You

I will search this forum for more information about the faulty left-hand turn signal indicator. Just to recap, i swapped out the right-hand bulb for the left-hand bulb, the left-hand bulb worked in the right-hand slot. I think the bulbs are correct but something else is causing the left-hand rear signal indicator (yellow) to not work.

#5 · (Edited)
You may be correct - but I found the writeup on the sockets at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1663707-rear-light-out-message.html

It references diagram in the owner's manual for an '05 - but your manual may also have one. Here is the one from mine. Note that between the left and right taillights, socket #4 is different left to right.

Be sure to check for corrosion within the socket, and also at its contacts with the circuit board.

Attachments

#6 ·
Rear Left Turn Signal Indicator Problem

Hello,
I have a 2012 GLK 350 and the rear left turn signal indicator came on and my signal doesn't work from the back.
I tried replacing the bulbs but the indicator is still on and light isn't working. I also checked the fuse and its not that either.

Anyone else have this problem or solution??

Thanks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.