Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2006 S65 turbo life

849 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  deucer 
#1 ·
What is the life of those turbos if maintained with regular coolant changes and upgraded pump? Will it go 200K or more or will you be replacing turbos before then.

#2 ·
I've read where folks have gone close to 300k without replacing Turbos on Mercedes. Keep in mind that how you drive the car; how much boost is demanded or applied and frequency of demand are factors. Also, keeping fuel filtration system clean and fuel quality is important (as it is with any other system). Through time the vanes will soot up with unburned fuel or irregular distribution which results in slower or hesitating response when throttle is applied. I don't own a Turbo Mercedes, but I do have a F250 Diesel with turbo. I took my turbo off and broke it apart and cleaned the vanes and plates. Put it back together and it acted like I had just added a NOS system to it. Very responsive and quick boost.
In a nutshell, if you take care of your equipment and service it accordingly you will likely have no major problems. Abuse, or go past the regular intervals for periodic maintenance then you are "living on the edge". You might do a search on this forum or Internet in general for tips and ideas on how to increase the Turbo longevity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.