Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Strange Highway behaviour

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sshinde 
#1 ·
s320, year 2000, around 60,000kms

while at higher speeds....120-140km, if it is a bit windy, the rear feels like it wants to wander (feels like it has excessive body role in the rear). if you pass by a truck, the rear wants to drift towards the truck (like it gets sucked into the trucks direction).....samething if a large faster vehicle passes me ...

what is going on?

thanks...

#2 ·
Have you checked your tire pressure that it matches the speeds at which you drive? Tires could be squirming on the sidewall if the tire pressure is not right. Also to consider would be dried out rubber components on the rear torsion bar set up which could allow the car to wiggle when being passed.

Rear torsion bar;

I have experienced what you describe at times with other vehicles I have driven and it is annoying. These cars, (W220), seem to be pretty stable on the highway.

I hope we get a suspension expert to chime in.

#3 ·
Alignment should be a good point to start.

Both toe and camber will affect stableness, plus alignment will reveal worn suspension parts.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...

recent alignment done...I will check the rear sway bar + suspension...but i am thinking maybe the alignment guy did not do good job ?

Will the sway bar affect body role ? the rear end shocks feel nice and firm,but the body role bugs me...it is a big car though, and my w124 used to have a firmer ride in general so maybe what i am experiencing in normal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.