Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

CD/Mp3/DVD Unknown Format HELP!

19K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  amerkam88 
#1 · (Edited)
hello i bought 2004 3.2 CDI Long wheel base model yesterday and just realized today that it doesn't ready any type of cd`s, for some reason there is no changer at the back, so i only have 1 CD slot in double din sat nav base in the front,

once i insert cd it shows Unknown Format i tried Original CDs, burned CD,s, all types i had but it says the same thing for all of them, anyone knows what to do?

This is the type of SAT NAV i have, CD goes under the screen it moves up or down once you click Eject

Thanks Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
try this

get about 100 mp'3 and burn them to a dvd

Choose ISO Juliet format on the DVD-r

It ought to play. There are 2 lasers one for cd & one for dvd

Sometimes one laser goes bad.

Or if this is too much put a movie dvd in the slot. It will play the audio
from the movie but no video ever

#3 ·
get about 100 mp'3 and burn them to a dvd

Choose ISO Juliet format on the DVD-r

It ought to play. There are 2 lasers one for cd & one for dvd

Sometimes one laser goes bad.

Or if this is too much put a movie dvd in the slot. It will play the audio
from the movie but no video ever
hi, thanks for reply, so i tried DVD-r with ISO Joliet format, i burned around 80 songs in to a cd and tried to play in the car, it does work and it doesnt show Unknown Format error but still it keeps freezing every 5 seconds...

maybe i need to clean the laser somehow or even to change it?

#4 ·
Sounds like it needs cleaning. There are CD/DVD cleaning disks available at audio shops. No guarantee of a fix but worth a try.

#5 ·
Had similar issue burning cds. Found by formatting FAT32 during burn solved the problem, but no way you'll get 80 songs on a CD. Most likely 12 to 15 depending on size. As for burning to DVD I never could get it to work, but I was loading with the 6 CD changer in the back.

#6 ·
... but no way you'll get 80 songs on a CD. Most likely 12 to 15 depending on size. ...
In MP3 format you will be able to get nearly 175 selections on a CD. Using a bit rate of 128 kps and a sampling rate of 44 kHz = about 4 megabytes per selection. A CD can have a capacity of 700 megabytes. Now in regular audio format 12 to 15 is about right.

#7 ·
And that is correct sir, but there in lies the problem. Formatting MP3 would not work on an 02 S500 with 6 CD load/changer in Trunk. Nor would it work attempting format and load for the front slot. However, formatting at FAT32 audio I was able to burn then load cds in the rear changer. In reality I could build my own preferred music for listening, but could not increase capacity of load.

#9 ·
you should burn a CD with mp3 type not data type by ""Ashampoo Burning Studio 12"" i prefer this one than other ..
if u burn mp3 CD direct it will not work >> i have the same model of yours and i had the problem before i tried this program
i wish this could help u
after installing Ashampoo Burning Studio 12 choose Music then " Create MP3 or WMA Disc "
burn ur music and have fun :)

#11 ·
dear smmashaal .. today i tried to disassemble my ntg1 but it takes about 30 min to get to the CD-Drive .. it's really to hard to disassemble it
and about the cd cleaner it will not work because the cd drive have 2 lenses inside :\
so it will be better to disassemble it and clean it directly and calibrate it
and u have to check all the cables before touching the lens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.