BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 2002 500S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
S430/500 Dead Battery - Trunk Will Not Open

I just had this problem and the valet key would not open the trunk. I checked this forum but ultimately called MB Roadside to get the trunk open. The approach he used was to use a jumper cable from another vehicle to the alternator. On my 2002 model the alternator is on the left hand side of the engine (looking at the engine from the front of the car). All he needed to do was to remove the front piece of an air supply hose (~3" diamerter) to gain easy access to the alternator post. He attached the positive cable to the post and the negatve cable to the engine (any thing metal & non-electrical will work). He let the battery charge for about 5 minutes, started the car, and used the fob key to open the trunk.

The best bet if your car is covered by MB Roadside is to just call them - it takes about 20 minutes.

Hope this helps!

I still have the mechanical lock issue. The MB Roadside person told me how to go about getting to the lock and potentially determining what the issue was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thank you for that information, GaryDG.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control
#3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: Lots of collector cars from the 50's to present
Not always so!!!

MBZ came out and couldn't get in. I had to actually drill a hole behind the license plate and manually pull the lever to open the trunk. Sometime, you have to do what you have to do. Even the guy for MBZ roadside assistance was stumped. I said I would drill exactly where I thought the rod would be and I go it on the very first try. Then I had to use a body plug to fill the hole and put the license plate back to cover the body plug. What a pain my ass.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes Benz S430
Send a message via AIM to cmpcpro Send a message via Yahoo to cmpcpro
You guys do know that under the carpet of the pass. side floorboard is a power junction with positive and ground where you can supplement power to. No drilling holes in your vehicle necessary! That seems like a very big security breech to me.

Chris

2000 S430 - 18" AMG Wheels / Hankook Tires, Bi-Xenon 03+ Headlights, 03+ OEM Taillights, 03 Comand MOPF, Speed Signal Converter, MB Bluetooth V60 Puck, Wood Trim/Leather Steering Wheel, Universal PSE, JL 10" Wv3, Arc Audio Amp, LC2i Line Converter, Custom Exhaust, Custom Armrest, Custom Parktronic System, Carbon Tint 18 Rear, 30 Sides.

#5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

So if your locked out of your car what do you do? Also, for me it wasnt an issue of power it was an issue of the locking mechanicm
#6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

If you're locked out you have to use your manual key to open the door of the car and plug in to pass side under carpet.. if your battery is completely dead, your locked out of your car, and you lost your key, well then, you've got bigger problems..

Chris

2000 S430 - 18" AMG Wheels / Hankook Tires, Bi-Xenon 03+ Headlights, 03+ OEM Taillights, 03 Comand MOPF, Speed Signal Converter, MB Bluetooth V60 Puck, Wood Trim/Leather Steering Wheel, Universal PSE, JL 10" Wv3, Arc Audio Amp, LC2i Line Converter, Custom Exhaust, Custom Armrest, Custom Parktronic System, Carbon Tint 18 Rear, 30 Sides.

#7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

I wasnt locked out of my car I was lock out of my trunk. I was just saying even the MBZ guy couldnt get im in the trunk. The actuator latched and wouldnt release. This was the ONLY way in. The other guy said his key wasnt working but I will say, having the jumper inside is a blessing not something to be unhappy about. Thanks, glad to know!!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

No prob.. I am surprised every time by the amount of people who don't know this, even experts.. I saw a MB mech. do that when his employee locked the trunk on an S600 with an uncharged batt.

Chris

#9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: E320 Yr 2000, S430 YR 2002
I have a broken mechanism. Before I make a big hole in the trunk cover, can you tell me the size of the hole he made and whereabouts please, if you remember ? Is this something that may be covered under the car insurance ?

Last edited by dilsingh; 09-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

I bought a 2" inch drill saw with the bit in the middle. It takes only a little pressure to go through the entire two layers of the plastic, the lid and license plate cover. If your car is black then it's a no brainier, they will come pre-painted in black or silver and maybe some other colors. Sometimes you can order your part repainted. I just put a special adhesive in the hole and put in the body plug and covered it with the license plate, no big deal. You must drill right above the bottom license plate screw hole just to the right on the left side. Do not push hard or go deep, the hole will come within 10 seconds of starting. It's thin material. You will see the rod. Pull it and the trunk will open. Remember the drill saw bit if you buy a 1 inch will make a 1/14 " hole and you can use needle nose pliers to get to the rod, pull up and it's open. The pull the carpet off and remove the unit. I made the mistake of buying a 2" cutter and it made the hole 2 1/4 " hole. I moved my Serial number decal out of the way so to leave it in tact and put it back afterwards. Its not covered under car insurance, sorry. The bit is about 10.00 and that is all it costs to get into your trunk.

I would however call the MBZ guy to come out he might be able to get into the trunk without all of this. Mine was my stupid mistake, I put the rod back too long and no matter what I did the key nor the mechanic could get in other than me cutting the hole and it was screwing up my electric closure and messing with the hinges, I had no other options.

Last edited by 2006CL600; 09-19-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class