Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Recent purchase w Airmatic issue

926 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Curacao 
#1 ·
Greetings all! I recently purchased a 2004 s500 4matic that someone decided to Edward scissor hands the interior. It has 35k miles and is pristine on the outside. I plan on having the seat and trim sections replaced or just buy new door panels. I can't complain for 8 grand, I think I stole it.

My issue is that the car rides very rough and the dash alert say Airmatic visit workshop with an arrow pointing up. I hear the air exhale when I turn the car off and the dash lights for the air attic work and the ride height button makes the car go up and down as well so the pump must be working. I did notice the driver side rear seems to be a little lower than the others by maybe a half inch.

I've read as many airmatic posts as possible to figure it out. Here are my thoughts are as follows. Any thought?

1 replace relay w a hella (I swapped a couple relays to see if it was the relay w no change)

2 inspect valve

3 ?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most Airmatic problem can only be fixed by repair/replace the air struts. In the repair camp, there is a MB seal kit or epoxy threads in the sticky. I favored the seal kit, still working. In replacement, you can pick OEM or after MKT struts that completely disable your air ride feature. It is quite a process for decision. It all depends on your budget. Struts RR is only part of the system failure if you are lucky, there are air pump, pressure block valve and others that our members have repaired. Those are reasons for the stolen deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.