Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2000 w220 rear window regulator

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lyoooha 
#1 ·
i had my 2000 s500 at the dealer yesterday to have the rear window fixed; the dealer was going to fix a new regulator but called me to say the regulator and window (i.e. the glass) are one unit and need to be replaced together. they had one in stock in germany for £250 but I asked him not to do it (it's the second attempt they've had at fixing it). is it possible to replace the regulator without replacing the glass, and is this a job i could contemplate doing myself? they're going to chagre me about £380 labour to do this :(

any advice welcome :)

#2 ·
Curious since I just changed a rear window regulator on our E class, I looked up in AutohausAZ.com for a 2000 S500. No joy. However, there is one listed for my make and model of a 2002 S430. Both are W220s.

Your Parts Search Returned 4 Part(s)

Here are some instructions for an E-class (no guarantees if it applies or not)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1226700-diy-pictorial-window-regulator-replacement.html

Only additional problems that I ran into were the door panel buttons popped off and had to be glued and clamped overnight with adhesive, and also had to use machine screws instead of rivets.

Good Luck on whichever path you choose.

#3 ·
Your dealer is a rip off because I replaced my window regulator myself. The window regulator is a the track that moves the window up and down. Its held down by 3 rivets and you need to take out the old window motor and mount it on the new regulator. The new window regulator comes with tape/glue to hold the window down to the regulator. I find this very odd because most imports the windows are mounted with two 10mm bolts. I bought my window regulator from ebay and its still working!

REAR RIGHT WINDOW REGULATOR Mercedes W220 S430 S500 S55 S600 2000 00 01 02 | eBay

#5 ·
I agree, obviously the regulator and window can be installed separately, since at one point my rear regulator got disconnected from the window and would not always pull the window down. So I stuck some of that sticky stuff that holds the doors insulation to the door frame between the regulator and the window and they stuck together so nicely it still works flawlessly to this day! Happened about 2 yrs ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.