Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to ricebubbles
(Thread Starter)
W220 2003 Update S500 LWB Pneumatic System Equipment (PSE) Pump Version 1

Hi tower,
Thanks for the information. The other post I found was obviously incorrect as I have now run some more tests and established the function for each PSE Pump outlet except the KAF Port. It doesn’t seem to have any thing to do with the seats as your scribe suggests.

Later Note:
My S500 does not have Soft/Self Closing Doors.
My research on the PSE Pump may be of assistance to other MB enthusiasts so Version 1 was deleted and replaced with Version 2 see post below.

Regards,
Brian

Last edited by ricebubbles; 02-01-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Updated Version 1 to Version 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 91 300SL with Pano Top, 90 560SEL, 04 S500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As far as I surmise, it is not the door switch that triggers the self closing, rather it is the first latching action that triggers the final closing. In other words, the doors don't self close until you hear the click of the first latching action.

90 560SEL, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500
formerly 1980 450SL
Black Fuzzy Dice Gang Member
http://www.benzypalooza.com/
#13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: S500 | 220.175 | 113.960
You know check for the leaks , how about some one activating the doors and you feeling the pump in the back to see if it does anything. I know that even if there is a leak somewhere that prevents doors from closing, the pump runs anyway for a little until it times out. THen it does not run until it resets (or car is restarted if I remember correctly)

The vacuum pressure system is very complicated and unreliable.
My car does something that we on the forums were unable to figure out.

All of my dooors work just fine, trunk also. However SOMETIMES and only SOMETIMES, and ONLY ON DRIVERS DOOR, if I use the soft close, the trunk pops open. Sometimes the trunk pops open even without using the door, sometimes while Im driving (at low speeds). Just BEfore the trunk pops open, I hear the car squeezing all doors at the same, then POP and I have to run and close it. Sometimes it happens many times a day, sometimes it does not occur for days!

What I did notice is that is does squeeze all doors before popping the trunk open. By squeeze I mean what happens when you activate the soft close. You activate by clicking it once slightly, then the door gets sucked in to closed position and squeezed in even further. ABout two seconds after that squeeze the door is "let go" by the pressure system to allow it rest on the latch itself. I believe the squeezing thing is the design of the car, however why the trunk pops I dont know!!! SO the system is very unpredictable.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2000 S430
Lifetime Premium Member
[QUOTE=ricebubbles;5081063]Hi tower,
Thanks for the information. The other post I found was obviously incorrect as I have now run some more tests and established the function for each PSE Pump outlet except the KAF Port. It doesn’t seem to have any thing to do with the seats as your scribe suggests.

See attached for detailed test results including some pressure tests.

Re your other query, I have confirmed that the W220 S-Class PSE Pump does blow as well as suck.

Now to my conclusions.
The airlines to my doors only have half the pressure of the Boot/Trunk Actuator. The results of my tests on the FoL Port and it’s Air Line makes me think that the 14Kpa or 2psi as delivered by the PSE Pump is very low considering that it easily delivered 110KPa or 16psi for the SK Port Boot/Trunk Actuator. I will thus dismantle the pump and see if the pump head or other parts are contaminated with the fine black powder as reported by other Posters such as GotBenz.

I am also thinking it may be the actuators or the switches, because the door Soft/Self Close Actuators did not operate when I applied 138Kpa or 20psi with my Work Shop Compressor. I suspect they may be seized or broken and will have to dismantle them as well. According to Poster Brett Allison, the W140 Closing Assist Pump has micro switches in the actuators which initiate the pump closing sequence and these may be faulty if they indeed exist in a W220 System.

Can anyone tell me if the door light switch is used to initiate the soft close or is there something inside the actuator which does this job on a W220 S-Class?

Any ideas, or comment much appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

/QUOTE]

Excellent work with the .pdf, but unless I missed it might want to add the first step of resetting soft close by pulling the 20 amp fuse for thirty seconds. Over the weekend the wife forgot about not slamming the doors, which disabled soft close on the R/F door. Pulling the fuse cleared the problem...

Current ride '00 S430
Transferred '87 300E after 40K miles
#15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: W220 2003 Update S500L, W204 2008 C220 CDI
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
W220 2003 Update S500 LWB Pneumatic System Equipment (PSE) Pump Version 2

My S500 does not have Soft/Self Closing Doors.
My research on the PSE Pump may be of assistance to other MB enthusiasts so Version 1 was deleted and replaced with Version 2 see below.
The attached pdf document summarises what I discovered about the Pneumatic Systems Equipment (PSE) Pump, the Door Actuators and the results of the vacuum and pressure tests that I performed in order to better understand my system.
Regards from a very disappointed,
Brian

Search Key Words for attachment.
W220 2003 Update S500 LWB Pneumatic System Equipment (PSE) Pump Soft/Self Close Doors Boot/Trunk Self Closing Feature Retracting Handle Door Locks >PP-TS20< MB 220 800 10 48 [08] BOSCH 0 132 006 381 Made in France 0022 03190 10 0315 Seat Head Restraints Lumbar Support Bladders Fuel Filler Flap Lock Rear Seat Child Safety Lock Air Line Port Designations SK KAF HECK TD Blank FoR FoL BFT FT MKL Black connector/large yellow air line Grey/gray connector /white air line
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W220 Pneumatic System Equipment PSE Pump Version 2.pdf (850.1 KB, 2131 views)
#16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Lambet

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hi
I have a 2002 MB S 500.
First, the soft close on the driver's side stopped operating. Then the front passenger side stopped followed by all 4 dors and he trunk lid which Ihave to really bring down hard in order to close, just like the doors and I DON'T hear the hising sound !.
Can any body help me with where the problem might be ? (efore I take it to a mechanic so that I don't get ripped off !!!).

Thanks

Lambert

#17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2005 S430
soft close doors

I am having this problem right now. What has happened is one(I don't know which one), but one of your actuators in the doors has broken(the white piece tabs has broken and come apart )and the pump saves itself by stopping the vacuuming process until it is fixed. There is an example in the encyclopedia of what happened. I am going to fix mine this weekend. It can be a little difficult if you're not a little mechanically inclined. Look in the W220 encyclopedia and you'll see what I mean.
#18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 02:52 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2004
Soft close retrofit

Softbubbles, I thought your pdf was very interesting. I'm interested in the next step, that of retrofitting the soft close parts. I have heard it said that some software settings need to be changed too, but reading your report it all looks quite self contained.
If anyone knows of this being done I'd be interested as there are a lot of cars being broken at this age. This thread is quite old now, but hopefully someone out there has done this. Cheers, Danny
#19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: W220 2003 Update S500L, W204 2008 C220 CDI
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Danny,
I will also be interested to see if there are replies from any DIYers who have made this modification.
It will mean fitting new cables with the vacuum/pressure lines to each door and possibly with extra wires for some form of sensor which senses when to activate the door closing mechanism.
I am certain it will be necessary to update the electronic data card for the car. This can only be done by an authorised workshop using a registered STAR DAS.
It needs lots more research and at the moment I have too much on my plate. I was in the process of sourcing components for a retrofit of a Distronic to my S500L but have been sidetracked onto fixing my COMAND which has failed. I have ordered a second hand COMAND from the UK as mine is just not repairable.
Regards,
Brian

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class