No Heat After Flushing & Changing Coolant - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 S430
No Heat After Flushing & Changing Coolant

After flushing and changing the coolant on my '02 S430, I no longer have any heat in the car?? I drained the system first, then flushed out with water, and filled with 50/50 mixture of MB coolant. Now, there is no heat. I tried the REST button but no heat either in front or rear. The car seems to warm up to normal temp 80 - 90 C but only cold air coming from the vents. Any help is appreciated.
punchpro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes Benz S430
Send a message via AIM to cmpcpro Send a message via Yahoo to cmpcpro
Did you try driving it? I flushed my coolant multiple times when I changed it and I had to drive it before it would start getting warm the first time..

2000 S430 - 18" AMG Wheels / Hankook Tires, Bi-Xenon 03+ Headlights, 03+ OEM Taillights, 03 Comand MOPF, Speed Signal Converter, MB Bluetooth V60 Puck, Wood Trim/Leather Steering Wheel, Universal PSE, JL 10" Wv3, Arc Audio Amp, LC2i Line Converter, Custom Exhaust, Custom Armrest, Custom Parktronic System, Carbon Tint 18 Rear, 30 Sides.

cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Yes, I drove the car for about 20 minutes. Car was at temp about 80 C. Still only cold air from vents. When I filled the system, I was only able to fill 4.5 quarts of MB antifreeze & 4.5 quarts of water and system was full. I thought it would be about 6 quarts of each as capacity of cooling system should be 12 quarts per specs.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 s500, 2004 S500 fourmatic
When I changed the duovalve pump motor, I also changed the antifreeze/coolant at the same time. If everything was working before you did the activity, I'm almost 100% sure that you have an air bubble (large) in the heating lines preventing the flow of fluid. I actually had similar results initially, but I knew that the duovalve pump is situated high on the firewall and expected this kind of problem, so, I parked the car on an angle (front end high) to help the trapped bubble of air escape. Helped a little, but what is really going to help the most in this case, is alternate heating and cooling. With the system under pressure, it will dissolve a little of the air into the coolant. When it cools down, the air will displace, but into a different area of the engine. Over a few cycles, the heater hoses/heat exchanger blockage will go away, but you will now need to add more coolant to make up for the space consumed. Check your coolant reservoir when it has cooled down to see if it needs more coolant. It will probably just be a time thing.

I seem to remember that I only required (2) gallons of antifreeze to charge the system, but, when I installed the new pump, I had it mis-aligned (off 90 degrees) and lost some antifreeze through the imperfect sealing.

Last edited by tower; 12-27-2011 at 03:18 AM.
tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Tower, thanks for your insight & comments. Everything was working before I changed the antifreeze/coolant. I actually lifted the front end also during the coolant change to see if this would help. I checked the level this morning and it was still at the same level as before... no change? Thought it would have settled some. My thoughts were along the same lines, Tower....that there must be an air bubble. This is probably preventing the duovalve/ water pump from picking up suction and moving fluid. You're right that it's situated relatively high on the firewall which doesn't help matters when you're first charging the system. The coolant system should have a bleeder valve somewhere to help prevent this!!!....I looked and couldn't find one.
Well, at this point I took the car to my INDY mechanic. I gave him the background and he fixed it within 2 hours. He checked the AC / heat system and found all components working. He said the system was airbound. No real explanation as to how he got the air out. Probably got it on the lift & disconnected hoses.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 s500, 2004 S500 fourmatic
What also doesn't help the situation, is that the W220 relies on the auxiliary pump to provide coolant during slow rpm situations, as in idling. Idling the car waiting for the "bubble" to dissipate will not work as the water pump cannot circulate enough coolant to "flush" the bubble through. You might have better success than I did by "burping" the coolant feeds next time in an attempt to force the bubble down the system.

But its working now. You should get the mechanic to explain what he did to prime the system so that we all know in the future.

Tower
tower is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class