Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Air suspension problem

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  PeterLondonH 
#1 ·
Hi guys I am new to this forum... Own 1991 W124 (300TE) and 2000 W220 (S430).

2000 S430 w/ Airmatic air suspension problem, very weird though... only on WET days I will get the message on dash: STOP, CAR TO LOW. I stop, raise the car, then drive normally, occasionally the red message will show up again for a few seconds, then go away.

Went to mechanic, diagnostic computer had code stored CRITICAL VEHICLE HEIGHT FRONT TOO LOW, PAY ATTENTION TO... (some number) or something like that. When reset, it said MODULE WORKING PROPERLY. I drive another 200-300 miles without error, then again, on a rainy or dampy day, STOP, CAR TO LOW. I get out, look at the front wheels, they are indeed low, but I can still turn the wheel to the max without scratching the fenders...

When I look at the front every time I get out of the car, car will be higher at times, car will be lower at times... when really low -- after I start the engine it seems to raise itself... Anybody knows what's going on with this thing??

Thanks.

#3 ·
The car will raise itself periodically so that is normal.. Also, the car does raise sometimes when starting, depends on many things.. As for this issue only happening when damp or wet, I would start checking connections.. sounds like something is getting wet.. may want to check where the vehicle level/hieght sensors are and check those..

#5 ·
i think u have problem with front shock-absorbers. air flows out and cars front side falls down. then error message flashes. i had such problems. top of shocks-absorbers, where air tube is connected to shocks leaks air out. it can be repaired or new ones replaced. when the car is stopped or driven at low or normal speed leakage of air is very few and air compressor passes in time needed quantity of air, but when driving fastly (at such time pressing on shock-absorbers is increased) or road is not clear leakage of the air is so fast that compressor cant give enough air in time and car falls

#6 ·
I have now an interesting suspension problem... not sure what it is...
So this is the story:

I have an S320 and I had an error message says Suspension fault right front side. It was on Star. Not on dash! So I checked my struts and that right side one was leaking on the top there was a small crack!
So I bought a new strut for £££ and replaced the faulty one.
After 2-3 days the car was working fine but realised that every morning that side (front right) is too low! The car drops its height to the tyres on that suspension which is new!

However after I click open button on my remote the car levels itself back to normal without even start the engine...
What is this any idea?
:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.