#11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 S430 156k (11/12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your opinion/advice.

Not really technical, those are the numbers I took from the Mercedes Benz operating fluid sheets. I am not shopping for a price but like to use the correct fluid for my transmission and according to the Operating Fluid-Extranet, there are 3 for my 722.632 transmission.

Although, dealers are using the 236.14 fluid for this transmission, it may not be the best choice and the 236.10 would be more suitable. Thats all I am trying to find out and gather some knowledge for my upcoming transmission project.

The fluid you have listed is not on the list and I would not want to use it. I do appreciate your input and time but the fluids I use for this car must either carry a three point star logo or be on the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xexpo View Post
Thanks for your opinion/advice.

Not really technical, those are the numbers I took from the Mercedes Benz operating fluid sheets. I am not shopping for a price but like to use the correct fluid for my transmission and according to the Operating Fluid-Extranet, there are 3 for my 722.632 transmission.

Although, dealers are using the 236.14 fluid for this transmission, it may not be the best choice and the 236.10 would be more suitable. Thats all I am trying to find out and gather some knowledge for my upcoming transmission project.

The fluid you have listed is not on the list and I would not want to use it. I do appreciate your input and time but the fluids I use for this car must either carry a three point star logo or be on the list.
You know if you call the parts dept, they will tell you exactly what to use, based off of your VIN number.

Also I know what code you have. A PO715, this mean's one of three thing's. Trans ECM has lost power. Conductor plate is shot, or you have to adapt the trans computer to the car.

I have a SDS, if it was my 220, I would clear the trans code first, the adapt. My bet is it will shift for a few times before it goes back into limp.

Also when you go to the dealer, you will want to get this part.

203-540-02-53, I think is the number?
Attached Images

Last edited by Mercedes mechanic; 10-27-2011 at 06:21 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 S430 156k (11/12)
I think you're missing my point here, I just want to completely replace the transmission fluid and it to be most suitable my transmission.

My car drives excellent for it's age, have no codes present that I know of at this time, no limp mode ever activated, replaced the plug adapter seals some time ago, no l leaks visible so far and I think that you think that you're replying to the OP.

I asked the fluid question because "CheckCodes" mentioned it and I have been thinking about that since I used the 236.14 for my transmission fluid replacement at 120k.

If I call the dealer, they will most likely suggest the 236.14 fluid and I would not be surprised if they tell me the transmission is sealed and it's fluid is for life as they have told me in the past.

I think, you may have some valuable information for the OP, hopefully he sees it.
#14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 s500, 2004 S500 fourmatic
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mercedes Mechanic:

Your statement about the parts department identifying the correct fluid(s) to use needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I've got an 02S500 which was originally qualified for engine oil that meets mercedes 229.3 spec. If you asked my local parts department, they would tell you to now use 229.5 with the special fleece filter. Engine oil costs about 20%+ per litre and the filter is at a premium too, but what they don't tell you is that the 229.3 spec oil is fine (difference is the range the oil can be used for, but, the fss system doesn't correct for this figure).

So like I said, better to do the research and truly use what they recommend as not following their recommended maintenance program gives them a good excuse to weasel out of any support.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2001 Mercedes Benz S500
(Thread Starter)
Hi Check Codes can you tell me where the TCM is located on the 01 s500? i didnt see it on the forum you directed me too, however my husband was able to change the connector when he removed the old one there was alot of oil that came out. Now that the connector has been replaced will he have to replace it again to get to the TCM?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class