BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 2002 S600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 S600 coolant line leak

I posted a couple months ago that my MB dealership had told me I had a coolant line leak which apparently was a common problem with my S600 v12 prior to the TT version.

My MB dealership quoted me a price of 4400 to start, they said it could easily go up from there depending on what they find after they get it torn apart, all this after only looking at my car for approximately 20 min.

I took it to a different shop that I had been recommended to for a second opinion and after 3 days (very thorough) he told me it was a leak from the bell housing transmission seal, not the actual coolant lines which run above the trans and into the motor, he quoted me approx 1500 to fix it, most of which was labor.

I should be getting my benz back next week and I will update you on the actual cost I just wonder if I had taken it to MB and they found it was a simple bell housing seal issue if they would have corrected themselves or simply said they found that in addition to the coolant lines and charged me for both?

it just seems like the MB dealership basically looked at my car for 20 min said well if there is a leak it has to be that coolant line because its a known issue while the other shop went and actually put dyes in the oil, then power steering, then trans fluid to find out what was actually leaking instead of assuming.

so far I have had this shop do a couple things and assuming he was correct about this I almost cant see going back to my MB dealer.

Classic Imports in Sioux Falls, SD if anyone is in the area and needs a good private shop even if just for a second opinion.

I stopped by last week and he had 2-3 MBs a couple Porsches and a Ferrari up on a lift so it definitely seems like he knows what he is doing and I am a happy customer so far for sure.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class