Power Seat doesn't go back all the way - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2010
Power Seat doesn't go back all the way

I have a 2003 S430 and the passenger power seat has stopped going back all the way. The button works to move it forward, and then moves it back but stops less than half way back. I've tried running it all the way forward and holding, and all the way back and holding the button to see if it might reset. I also pulled the fuse and tried holding the "m" button and using the control in the opposite direction. Is there something else that might need to be reset to clear out a false stopping point? Could it be the door control module even though the switch seems to work?
jpm71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2005 Mercedes-Benz S500, 1982 300SD, and about 4 other parts cars in rubbermaid bins in the garage
Might be a hall position sensor? There is a cable under the seat that unwinds as it moves back. Does the bun work ok back and forth?

"You can't fix stupid!"

TheBenZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenZo View Post
Might be a hall position sensor? There is a cable under the seat that unwinds as it moves back. Does the bun work ok back and forth?

Assuming bun is the bottom portion of the seat, that works fine all the way back and forth. It's just getting the whole unit to go back. I took a look under the seat, which I hadn't done yet, and there is a cable that comes out of the carpet, on the door side of the seat, sort of bicycle cable style, and it has slack in it. If that is part of the hall position sensor you mentioned and it is supposed to be taught to keep a measurement of where the seat is, then this is almost certainly the problem.

Any additional input on this cable is appreciated. Didn't look like an easy fix to track down this cable and replace it considering it disappears under the carpet.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2002 S500 W220;1986 190E W201; 1991 420SEL W126
Does it move back with a memory button? Try one of the presets to see if will move past the half way point.
mvmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmiller View Post
Does it move back with a memory button? Try one of the presets to see if will move past the half way point.
Tried all the memory buttons and it won't get past the same point it stops at with the regular button.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mercedes-Benz S500, 1982 300SD, and about 4 other parts cars in rubbermaid bins in the garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm71 View Post
Didn't look like an easy fix to track down this cable and replace it considering it disappears under the carpet.
Ahh its not too bad. Just unbolt the seat and unplug it. But scan it with STAR first, and do a few actuations with the seat to see if it will move past the point it stops at.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Lifetime Premium Member
Try the procedure at post 14, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...st2216730.html. If that won't work, look for blockage in the seat tracks. If nothing there, have it serviced.

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control
Skylaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

After Benzo's post, I looked under both seats. Here is a picture of the cable that seems to be broken. If you look at the gold screw on the left, you can sort of see the cable that runs to the front. This is the driver side and still attached properly. The passenger side had slack in it as though the cable had broken internally or come detatched at the other end. So my guess is the seat moves forward, the sensor at the other end can't detect that because the cable didn't retract properly, and now it thinks the seat is all the way back.

I appreciate all the help. If anyone can verify this is my problem, and tell me what the part is called, I can do some more searching to figure out if it's diy or a shop fix.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Totally DIY. Its just going to take a little time. The only issue I think you might have is normalizing. But to do that you hold the seat position switch forward for 3 sec after it maxes out forward. Then do the same in back position.

Worse comes to worse, you can take it to a INDE shop that has STAR and get them to renormalize it for you.

Go to www.startekinfo.com and sign up for EPC. Its free. Find your part. Then start calling random dealers to get prices. I usually use Benz dealerships that are kind of podunk (Nebraska, South Dakota etc) because they are cheaper then the big city ones like MB of Seattle.

Glad we could help!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class