Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replacing the Automatic Transmission (722.671) Adapter Plug

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dansyl 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first post, but I am grateful for the forum & the many talented and generous contributors (esp. gregs210 in my case). I was at one time (until 2002) an ASE certified Master Automobile Technician with 21 years of experience. I've since changed careers, but still have all my tools. I bought a W220 4matic in July & will likely document projects I take on to try to pay all of you back for your insightful contributions. Attached is a document on how to change out the Automatic Transmission Adapter Plug (a common leak point), with instructions on doing a Trans Service included. I'm trying to be somewhat verbose for those who are a little intimidated by such projects, so page count is 14 (mostly because of pics). Note this is a drain & fill which will require roughly 4 liters of ATF. In order to preempt all comments from the peanut gallery - I know MB originally said that the trans was supposed to stay sealed for life. My answer to you is 1.) They've changed their stance and 2.) Why is their a fill tube & drain plug on it?

If you want to fully purge all fluid, look at Yumling's innovative take in the 210 forum.

Other than typos or omissions, it would be great if folks might post "gotchas" or obstacles & workarounds doing the same job into this thread. I think this is of the utmost value to DIY folks with a little less experience.

A note to moderators and veterans - please forgive any missteps in Forum etiquette. I'm new & have tried to observe the protocols set forth!

**An addendum - All the normal disclaimers - I cannot be responsible for damage to your property or your person. Be extra careful when tightening pan bolts & the Adapter Plug mounting bolt and you should be fine.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you Chibenz, I appreciate the kind words. I'll keep them coming - I have a few other small jobs that I've snapped pics for, just need to write them up.

Also - a note on parts cleaner for those that stumble onto the thread. Find one that leaves no residue & evaporates quickly. I use Next Dimension (and have for 10+ years), but I'm sure there are others...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.