BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
PS rear door stuck

Hi
Passenger door is stuck in closed position.
The mechanical child lock is activated so I cannot open the door from the inside.
I've checked all the fuses under the right side rear passenger seat, all were OK. The closing assist system is working OK on all 4 doors and the boot.
Lock & unlock both with key and remote is OK on all 5 doors
The were no signs that something was coming before the door got stuck, (I use it every day).

Quistion: Is there an emergency door opening feature hidden somewhere in the car?
Is the door released mechanically or electrically, I mean when you pull the handle.
NB: The pumpunit (PSE pump) located under the left side rear passenger seat is running at all times when ignition is on, it never stops and I don't know if this is right or not.
I have searched the net for any clues to my problem but so fare without any luck. Several treads in this forum is close, but not close enough = no conclusion.
Can anyone push me in the right direction?
Best Regards
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You're in the W220 S-Class forum, but you do not seem to be describing a W220. In the W220, the PSE pump is not located where you describe it (it is in the trunk, above the left rear wheel well); and the child safety override for the rear passenger doors (and rear cigarette lighters) is on the driver's door panel, and not on the individual doors. Plus, the W220 has 4 doors and a trunk, not 5 doors.

There is no emergency override system I am aware of; and for the W220, the door latches are mechanical (though a door lock failure, caused by a vacuum leak to the lock could possibly prevent opening the door - but you said all of your locks work).

Perhaps you would get a better answer if you post your question in the proper forum - and state specifically the year and model car you are addressing.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control
#3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your reply.
Here are the details. MB S500, 2001 Chassis No. WDB2201751A143332. I think I'm in the right forum, but perhaps a few details are missing.
I think the pump unit under the left rear seat is the PSE pump (central locking pump) and the pump unit in the trunk is the closing assist pump. I'm not 100% sure coz all the manuals are written in Arabic, thats where I live and work at the moment and where I bought the car. The child safety locks are located on each rear passeger door and can only be operated when the door is open. The override botton you mention is only for the rear windows and located as you describe. And yes, there are only 4 doors and a trunk - my mistake.
As I wrote previously, the locking system seems to be OK but if anyone can explain me the differens between the 2 pump units I would appreciate or even better post me a link to a technical explenation in english. Arabic is not my first choise....................
#4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2003 S320 w220
Send a message via Skype™ to Jetstream
Hello schack. According to the WIS data for your vehicle the PSE unit is located in the boot (trunk) LHS. This unit is responsible for all of the Pnuematic systems such as central locking, Power locking (close assist), remote trunk release + others. Hope this helps.

Jetstream.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:55 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks, Jetstream, I was just verifying that myself.

Schack, it is plain that you're in the right forum. I no longer have my '00 (similar to the '01) to check how to activate the child safety system for the rear doors; I did check an electronic version of my '00's operator manual and didn't find that either. However, the child safety feature, while disabling the inside handle, left the outside handles operable. You could have a malfunction in that feature.

You can manually unlock the door by pulling the door lock knob up. If pulling it up once doesn't clear the problem, try it several times. If you can get the door open with the exterior handle, then you can obviously check the child safety feature.

There is a fuse diagram for the U.S. specification cars posted at post #3, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...e-diagram.html (double click the diagram to enlarge it; zoom in, or save it to your desktop and open it with a photo editor so you can enlarge it further). Note that there are a total of five fuses for door locks - one for the central locking system, and one for each door control module. I cannot see how fuses would be your problem, since you say your door locks all operate - but give them a check.

Your interior and exterior door handles are mechanical, but they are connected to both electronic, vacuum, and possibly mechanical systems (the latter especially with your car's child safety feature). However, on my '05 W220, the child safety feature of disabling the rear seat interior latches definitely works with the rear window/rear lighter override feature. With the safety feature activated from the driver's window control panel, once the doors are locked, the rear doors cannot be opened from the inside.

Your car may not be U.S. specification, but to the extent it will help, you can download the Owner's Manual for many models and model years at Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLK, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, SLR, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class - while the '01 and '02 S-Class are not available, the '00 S-Class manual is - and there are very few differences between those years in terms of operation.

You can also subscribe on a day-to-day basis to the Mercedes tech data (in English) at http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/ - perhaps something there will help.

Sorry I couldn't do more.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-27-2009 at 01:12 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Big thanks to both Jetstream & Skylaw

You guys have narrowed down my seach, so I'll consentrate my trouble shooting on the pump unit in the boot, at least thats were I'll start.
The links were great, just what I needed. I'll give it a serious go this weeken and update the tread on my progress early next week.
Thanks again.
Bye for now.

BR. Schack
#7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Closure of the problem.
After trying almost everything, checking the vacuum pump in the boot, all the vacuum hoses, fuses ect without a result, I took the car to dealer who replaced a mechanical part inside the door. Problem was solved and cost me roughly $ 500 all inclusive.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class