Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Airmatic Front Strut Leak

27K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  yoeman 
#1 ·
OK...I know thisw topic has been covered in depth, but my question has not been answered in any previous posts - I looked real hard before I decided to post this question.

Q: What are the other possible leak sources on the strut? I know that the upper part of the struts can develop leaks, and there is a repair kit, and you need a special tool. Got it. But After performing the soapy water test, I have determined that is not where the leak is coming from. Only the driver's side is leaking, and it will not even raise up even after engaging the pump with the dash button.

Here are some links that I have found to be very helpful that I would like to share with this board.

This is a link to Arnott Suspension's eBay store. You can buy rebuilt struts for $399 and Compressors for $299.
eBay Store - Arnott Inc: Chevrolet GMC, Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln Continental

Here is a link to where I found the rebuild kits for these struts if you want to DIY. This is the cheapest I have found. Remember that you also need the "special tool" which I will link to next.
GENUINE MERCEDES 220 320 25 38 Repair Kit Front Strut (2 per Car) Contains: (1) Brass Valve (1) Steel Cap (1) Spring Clip (1) Moisturizing Cloth NOTE: Not used with Active Body Control (Code 487) S500 Sedan 220.175- 220.175 2203202538 - Above All Mot

This is a link for the "special tool" on eBay for $119 + $13 shipping. Best deal I have found anywhere.
Mercedes Airmatic Shock Strut Rebuild Tool S500, S430:eBay Motors (item 350232612798 end time Aug-26-09 22:08:08 PDT)

Lastly, here is a great post with about a million follw ups on this very subject.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1358307-leaking-front-struts.html

Now...does anyone have any idea where the leak in my strut may be since it is not in the top section? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Randy

See less See more
#4 ·
So the pump, valve, and hose assembly is located near the passenger side wheel well? I'm having the same problem with my passenger side not raising when I hit the raise button, and I can hear a hissing sound coming from the passenger side wheel well. I've done the soapy water test on the top of the strut towers and there is no leak. It was suggested that I get the car on a lift and check the hoses and valve block for leaks, but I don't know where they are and, secondly I can't drive it anywhere.
Can I check from underneath the car?

#6 · (Edited)
I was just hoping to pinpoint it down a little further and drop it off to my Independent mechanic with the hopes ordering whatever parts it may need from autohausse.com. Didn't want him on a wild goose chase and charging me for what I could have possibly figured out on my own.
lol, but by no means am I attempting to fix it as I live in highrise condo and well as for a garage..........................that's it

but that's my baby leaning like drunk sailor

#7 · (Edited)
Sure, I understand. The only thing wrong with that approach is that based on what we describe we could suggest a lot of parts that you might buy, when they were not the problem. Nothing wrong with using an MB-certified Indy mechanic - but let him do some diagnosis first, and then see if he will work with you on parts. It will work out cheaper than guessing.

And my guess is you have blown a strut or perhaps a line to it - or perhaps have a bad valve block. And if you drive it too long, you'll burn out the airmatic pump. However, I have just mentioned about $2500 worth of parts (potentially), not including labor - but if the problem is only one of them, which you can find out for about $100, it will be less expensive to fix.

#11 ·
Yea, you're right, good point;)

So sorry to keep posting but I just reread your question and noticed you said it wasn't leaking on the top. If you remove the wheel and fender liner, there is usually a line that rubs where the pump is, if you can get your hands on that line, replace it and then wrap it in felt tape to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I believe it's the right front fender liner that has to come out.

Sorry again hah.
GermanIndy.........that is what I was getting at with my first post in this thread. The car has always lifted upon start which I thought was normal only to find out that it shouldn't be raising much at all each time it starts after sitting for more than 4 hours.
So now the whole front sits on the ground, but if I raise it with the button, the drivers-side will come up and stay up but the passenger side will not, and I can hear a loud hissing coming from the passenger side wheel well which led me to believe that it could possibly be the line, or valve since I recently read that this is where it's located. Either way it's headed to the shop:surrender:

#8 ·
The common problem that I see all the time with these front 220 air struts is the strut tops leaking. They usually indicate that their leaking by cracking on the silicone compound layed over the top of the strut where the gold valve goes into the strut. it's a very common problem and almost 99% of the time is fixed with the repair kit. The install is done quite simply (kinda) with a heat gun and a chizle (to get the compound off) then you use a special tool to compress down the top of the strut and remove the clip holding in the cap with an o-ring on it. It usually costs a bit to repair due to the fact that it's rather labor involved, but it's definitely more affordable then replacing the struts.

#10 ·
So sorry to keep posting but I just reread your question and noticed you said it wasn't leaking on the top. If you remove the wheel and fender liner, there is usually a line that rubs where the pump is, if you can get your hands on that line, replace it and then wrap it in felt tape to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I believe it's the right front fender liner that has to come out.

Sorry again hah.

#12 ·
s430 ,2000 strut leak

Can you let me know what works as i have the same issue on my 2000,430 but on the drivers side.loud hissing noise around the lower strut.Any thoughts would be great

GermanIndy.........that is what I was getting at with my first post in this thread. The car has always lifted upon start which I thought was normal only to find out that it shouldn't be raising much at all each time it starts after sitting for more than 4 hours.
So now the whole front sits on the ground, but if I raise it with the button, the drivers-side will come up and stay up but the passenger side will not, and I can hear a loud hissing coming from the passenger side wheel well which led me to believe that it could possibly be the line, or valve since I recently read that this is where it's located. Either way it's headed to the shop:surrender:[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.