Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 S500 Noise

788 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DrJfrmLA 
#1 ·
Hey you guys, I just recently got my car about 2 months ago and the past 2 weeks i've noticed that it makes a weird sound like something is hitting the ground as I drive as if somethings driving. This only happens when I'm going at a low speed, around 5-20 MPH. when I go around 25+ the noise suddenly dissapears. any clue for the reason for this noise? I don't know if I should take it to a dealer or what :dunno:

#2 ·
I'll ask the obvious question: have you looked to see if there is anything hanging from the bottom of the car? Maybe there is a stick or something stuck in a control arm if there is nothing mechanical or cosmetic hanging loose. There might be something wrapped around a half-shaft. If not, maybe there is something loose in the trunk or back seat rolling around. Check to see if something in the tire well has worked loose. Failing all that, maybe there is an exhaust system heat shield that has come loose. Since you didn't describe any mechanical consequences from the noise, it is most likely some bit that has worked loose or something in the passenger or trunk compartments that is free to move around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.