Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Dog Chewed my key !! HELP

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  samtam 
#1 ·
I got a S430L 1999 and it is one of the w220 model.
When I bought it, it only came with the spare key and this morning my dog was chewing it as it was his toy.
The locking and unlocking still works fine but the bit where you put in the key hole is completely f**ked up and it would go in if i really push it in. But however would not start the car.

(May be wrong) But I have heard there is way to program a new key to the car or something or a cheap way to get another key without letting the local merc dealing ripping me off for $500 USD for the key. (In HK by the way)

Any helps would be very much appreciated and if anyway know how to turn the Germany language on the TV screen back into English again (I have accidentally reset it while playing with it the other day)

#3 ·
Do you have the little flat emergency key (plastic, not metal)? If so you can use that for the time being and then buy a used key from ebay and transfer you internals to the "new" shell.

If not you are stuck going to the dealer for a new key.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#4 ·
I will be in Hong kong Monday or Tuesday and I'm an MB Techyy thingy lol. Give me your email address:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Damage to the shell is completely immaterial.

Do us all a favor and post a few pics of it. I'll bet you can replace the shell, but once you post pics I may be able to tell you how you can open it up and inspect the board to see if it's okay. If it is you can buy a shell on ebay and you're golden.

Check with your homeowner's insurance as well to see if you're covered for this.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#10 ·
well.. I have taken to the Merc dealer in HK and they said the electronic inside is a bit f*cked and a replacement may be necessary..
Is there anyway to reprogram a new key to the Merc by any chances?
Shoot the dog is a good idea as well.. may be the oven will work as well?
Sam

#11 ·
The dealer will supply and programme the key for you.:thumbsup:

#16 ·
i only got 1 key for the car and it is the one that has been chewed up.
It will unlock and lock the door.
However when I have sticked it in the car it will not turn the key at all.
Where are you based Greg?
There is only 1 Merc dealer in HK and they like ripping people off too.
Let me get my new key from Merc dealer first
I have ordered it already and it is $37xx HKD too.
Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.