Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission stuck in park sometimes

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gammaess 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have a 02 S430 and ive had it for about 2 mnths now, i just hit 60,000 and twice since ive had it it seems to not wanna shift out of park for a few mins then it just unlocks. looking for any tips you guys might have on why sometimes it would get stuck in park. Hit me up with any ideas, thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Just had the same issue with mines couple of weeks back, its a lil plastic peice that breaks off in the shifter which when it breaks it can fall in the path of the gearshift which prevent the shifter to move.If you take it to the dealer i heard its a costly fix. I took on the task and fixed mine myself. there are alot of write ups on the forum about this.

#6 ·
so i went to the dealer the other day for this problem and they insisted it was the brake light switch, they put there star diagnosis machine talked there smart talk and said it was official that it was the switch but guess what, when they changed it and went to throw in drive it was stuck in park. so they gave me stupid look and and said well thats not the problem. Well no shit they wasted my time and money, these dealers and even the techs sometimes play little thief games. There supposed to be professionals but i found the anwer off this forum and there star diagnosis cant find it. Amazing the way these guys work.

#7 ·
Welcome to the world of Benz and dealers. I was told this happens from my indy. Is the driver gets in the car and puts his seatbelt on then starts the car and shifts into drive imediately and jams the little plastic piece before it has a chance to move. He has told me to practice starting the car then seatbelt and drive. When I push the button on the shifter i can hear the click.
Now he is primarily a BMW guy, But he worked at mercedes and could not deal with hackers who think they know everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.