Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Airmatic / strut problem?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  daisound 
#1 ·
**Disclaimer**
I'll save some people some time:
Did you search the forums?
Yes, I did not find the answer. Or, maybe I am not very good at searching.

Now that we are past that :) , I have an 01 S500. Someone broke into my car on my driveway at night and stole the nav/comand, climate control right out of the dash. Unbelievable. This post is not exactly about that, but since I had to wait several weeks for the insurance company and collision shop to figure the mess out, I had the pleasure of driving w/o a radio for 6 weeks. Here is the problem I noticed:

My front passenger wheel area does something odd... While braking and right before I come to a stop, I will hear some sort of blowout, like a "whoosh", almost like a truck or bus that lets out the random release from time to time. Then I will hear some pump kick on afterwards. This repeats over and over while I drive. I have not noticed that the car is unlevel or that this happens when the car is off. Come to think of it, I think I have heard this blowout sound while I am driving w/o braking.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
You have a very weak upper struts seals. Very time you break, the seal open up and release air out. The pump comes on to replenished the lost pressure on the struts. If you delay the repair of the seals, very soon you are going to need a new pump. If you replace new struts $1100/EA. plus labor and tax. Seal is $131 EA. plus labor.See my post below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.