Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W220 MPG how much you are getting

31K views 101 replies 47 participants last post by  kkarson 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what gas mileage everybody else is getting.
I got 2000 S500 with 18" AMG rims and an average mileage for a tank of gas is 17-17.9MPG.

#79 ·
Yeah, that is definitely horrible. Even if I drive hard, I get minimum 17 MPG. Usually around city I get 18 - 19. Highway, it's usually around 25. This is with my S430, I noticed you have the S500. Mileage should be similar.

Maybe you have a bad fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, or something else could be wrong? Definitely I would investigate

#81 ·
2000 S430, 73,000 miles. In October, we traveled to visit relatives on Whidbey Island, WA. Generally drove @ 65 mph and got 27 MPG actual mileage (Miles/Gallons) despite frequent exits to let my sweetheart stretch her back & legs. Over the prior 2400 miles, the console indicates 21.8 for mixed 1/3 city/2/3 highway.

#82 ·

If you cruise at 55 mph your mileage will go up . . .

When I went to LAX to pick up my brother.

You can see that I got 29 MPG there !

That's with a 430 ~ V - 8 motor.

So how do you like me now ?

Team WandL Racing.

Red, *<:){)-

#84 ·
S500 update. Changed wheels and tyres

MY2000, S500, 122,000mls.

Just changed the AMG 19" front and 18" rear wheels fitted with Falken 452s for the four original (v. scruffy) 16" Carmenta wheels recently fitted with Michelin Alpin A4 Winter tyres and OMG; 28.3mpg on an easy (no obstructions, queues, etc.) 23 mile commute. :D That's so much better than the usual 24.5mpg.

#88 ·
still fuel consuption

Hi guys, i hope you still read this forum :)

I have s320 cdi, 2000 year, 145kw (197hp),
and i have situation that my car use 25-30% more fuel then it writes on board.

I drive 150kmh on cruise, and it say 8l/100km, but when i refuel trunk, its 10l/100, so its 25% more consuption.
Everythin works fine, diagnostic is ok, i think fuel is good, but I think its too much.
I tryed every advise i got, but nothing works out.
They usualy say :"you cant trus the board computer"...
But, its Mercedes-Benz, a premium "S" class, if I cant trust in that, im pretty disapointed :(((

I hope some1 can give me smtn usefull :)

#90 ·
Hi guys, i hope you still read this forum :)

I have s320 cdi, 2000 year, 145kw (197hp),
and i have situation that my car use 25-30% more fuel then it writes on board.

I drive 150kmh on cruise, and it say 8l/100km, but when i refuel trunk, its 10l/100, so its 25% more consuption.
Everythin works fine, diagnostic is ok, i think fuel is good, but I think its too much.
I tryed every advise i got, but nothing works out.
They usualy say :"you cant trus the board computer"...
But, its Mercedes-Benz, a premium "S" class, if I cant trust in that, im pretty disapointed :(((

I hope some1 can give me smtn usefull :)
Hi,

See my comments in cowboyt 's thread he linked, probably an incorrect setting or coding for it to be that far out :wink

Cheers Dave

#89 ·
Actually, that's true, sometimes you cannot trust the onboard computer. This can be affected by a new Conductor Plate, per the below thread.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2815282-computer-calculated-fuel-mileage-vs-actual.html

As for the actual mileage, calculated the old-school way, here's what I'm seeing, which is a very quick and short summary of that thread. US gallons are used in these calculations.

2000 S430: 16-17 mpg city, 18-19 mpg combined, 26-27 mpg highway at about 75 mph.
2003 S430: 15-16 mpg city, 17 mpg combined, 24 to 25 mpg highway (this has the AMG staggered wheel setup)
2003 S600: 11-12 mpg city, 14.5 mpg combined, 29.5 to 21 mpg highway depending on speed

#91 ·
ty for answer

Well, I'm doing that for 10 mnths.
Allways the same. That is how i know true consuption.
Just came back from trip, 900km,
Max speed 150kmh on highway.
Board writte 8l/100km, and when I refill full tank, my calc is 10l/100km.
That is rly big difference.

With full tenk, i make 850km, my friend with same car 1100km.

I dont have any isue on diagnostic.
Have recomended tires.
Did oil and filter chang in AT.
Everything works normal...
Just so BIG differenc in consuption.

I mostly drive open road 100kmh (60mph +\-), and its 9l/100.

Just purshed "tunap", germeany injector cleaner (35 euros), so i will see what then ?

#92 ·
Driving style makes a difference. If I just drive my S430 "normally" (no speed-racer, no special economy effort) on a trip, I get about 18 mpg (miles per US gallon). Making a change in driving style so small that most passengers would never notice a difference, I can get 22-23 mpg.

#94 ·
I made a slight driving style change with the S600 and got about 40 miles more out of the tank than normal in combined city/highway driving. Normally I drive that particular car in a spirited manner, 'cause it's fun. :)

Going to try out Dave's suggestion for STAR programming and see if I can find that reset "button".

Reactions: Dave2302
#95 · (Edited)
Hi,

You mean you took the Lead outta your Right Boot :big laugh:
@CupeXThere may well be no Issues regarding Diagnostic, that doesn't mean it hasn't got a problem with Coding or Settings............

20% is waaaaaayy too much error, if a Coding or Setting is wrong, the various Modules will not see a Fault, they will just use the wrong Calculation Tables and therefore give inaccurate results :wink

Cheers Dave

#96 ·
Now, now, we don't use lead; that's Toxic to the Environment! Harrumph! :angel

(We use bismuth now, thank you very much!)

I've gotta remember to search through that setting (no, not the bismuth one) this week. It's been a busy week.

Reactions: Dave2302
#97 ·
Hi Buddy,

:big laugh:

There are various Codings and Settings in, (at least), Dash Cluster and COMAND relating to Tyre, (Tire :laugh), size, may also be in other Modules like ME and TCU etc, I can't remember now, have a good search in all of them whilst SDS is plugged in.

While you have it on SDS, go into, (left I think), Front SAM and then into ATA, (Alarm), Codings, and set it to "Country" --- "Netherlands", and see how long it takes before you realise what cool extra that has added to your Car :grin

Cheers Dave

#98 · (Edited)
Hi,

There are various posts about Dash Clusters reporting erroneous MPG, I think between Alabbasi, Dean (Pinkster), and myself we have just got to the bottom of this ..............

It would appear that Dash Clusters Imperial Readings are calibrated using European Imperial Gallons, USA Gallons are Smaller :wink

Have a read of this :- http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2873649-2005-s55-oil-fill-capacity-vagueness.html

Especially post 11 on :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

#100 · (Edited)
Latest reading from the S600 TT is as follows.

Miles: 231.2
Gallons: 16.630
Actual fuel efficiency: 13.90 mpg
Computer says: 14.8 mpg

It's usually a bit closer, but still not too far off.

EDIT 18 Sep 2017: My friend, who's borrowing the 600 while I'm working on her S500 (the former project car), just this weekend reported 13.7 mpg hand-calculated, with the computer saying 13.5 mpg. That's rather a bit closer. Yep, I've got her in on the game now as well. Apparently her foot has some bismuth in it, too! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.