Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W220 MPG how much you are getting

31K views 101 replies 47 participants last post by  kkarson 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what gas mileage everybody else is getting.
I got 2000 S500 with 18" AMG rims and an average mileage for a tank of gas is 17-17.9MPG.

#40 ·
Guess I'll set the record for the lowest mpg.

My 2005 S600 gets about 13mpg in the city, and 15mpg mixed city/hway. Haven't reset the readings for a pure highway trip but might have to do so next time I plan a long trip.

For those who are curious, the UK gallon is larger than the US gallon according to Gallon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

UK gallon = 4.526 litres
US gallon = 3.785 litres

That would mean the UK gallon is 120% of the US gallon, or the US gallon is 0.83% of the UK gallon depending on which way you want to convert.

So my 13mpg in the US would be 15.6mpg in the UK, and 15mpg would be 18mpg.

#42 ·
Hey mpsmith, thanks for the info. I checked it and you are right. But this is strange.
S600 is fitted with Cylinder cut-off system so it should be a little more economical. I would imagine in the region of 17-20 mpg (US) atleast. You can double check the standard manufacturer readings in the manual.

#44 ·
I am kind a dissapointed, don't know why in the world I am getting only 11-12 mpg in city driving on my 02 s500.
I have new air filter and oil change two thousand miles ago from dealer, no check engine light or anything..:crybaby2:
Do you have the original instrument cluster in your S, or has it been replaced under the MB campaign when they go out. For nine years my S500 got 15-16 city and 20-23 highway. Then I had my IC replaced and viola! I'm now getting 5-8 mpg city and 10-15 highway. They have checked and tried to fix that, but no luck. The mileage under "After Reset" looks fine, but mileage "After Start" really sucks. It's' very frustrating, but appears to be permanent.

#53 ·
Hi All

I used to be getting between 23 - 25 mpg at 55mph but, have recently install the Khoas SGS, and it has pushed my S430 up to 36mpg, and on more that 30K miles a year it is saving me more than $2000 a year and paid for its self in the first 3 months. This thing is truly the greatest invention of the decade...... I have added the link for your reference. I got mine in Asia.. but it is the same product as in the US. I am considering putting one in my xj8 but it does low mileage... have to do the math on it first!!

Khaos Super Gas Saver :: by Khao Fuel Solutions Inc.

Anybody know what the 'rest' and 'recycled air' menu is for???

Good luck and take care

Thanks

TPCP

#54 ·
The REST button turns on the residual heat utilization mode (forget the actual name; I don't have my manual handy). Its purpose is to allow the car to continue to be heated even after the engine is turned off. It does this by using the residual heat of the engine for up to 30 minutes or so. If you want more detail perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself will answer.

The RECYCLED AIR button keeps the ventilation system from drawing air from the outside. It simply recycles the air in the cabin through the ventilation system rather than getting fresh air from outside. The cabin air might get a little stale, but it limits the amount of pollutants and keeps the system from having to heat up cold air in the winter, or cool down hot air in the summer.

Hope this helps.

Mike

#63 ·
After driving my used 2004 S500 4Matic for about 800 miles in mixed highway and city driving (mostly highway), I'm getting about 19.8 average mpg. That's without really trying to increase fuel economy, with the car ranging from 45-60 mpg. It's still really impressive when I remember that my 2001 C240 was only getting 20-30 mpg max, and this mpg is on a V8 5 Liter engine (with 4Matic)!!

#68 · (Edited)
Actually, even in the U.S. the labelings of the two modes has changed depending on model year, although the function has remained identical. For example, my '00 S500 owners manual labels the modes as "Standard" and "Winter/Wet" (Page 240; you can check the manuals for U.S. specification W220s at Mercedes-Benz - Home of C, E, S, CLK, CLS, CL, SLK, SL, SLR, R, GLK, M, GL, G Class). My '05 S500 owners manual labels them "Sport" and "Comfort" at page 179 replacing the "W" with "C." However, the manual then contradicts itself on page 441, labeling the functions "Standard" and "Comfort."

It would not be unusual to expect them to change among the editions for different continents as well.

Regardless, "Standard" starts the car off in first gear, and "W" or "C" starts in second, and alters the shift points for the remaining gears as well. In practice, the '00 would avoid losing traction much better in "W" when roads were wet or icy. However, it was more sluggish, and shifting to higher gears was rougher than in "S" - not particularly comfortable.

With my '05 4Matic, traction is not much of a problem, and I find the "C" mode to be less than comfortable, especially when shifting from 2d to 3rd.

I have found fuel savings to be negligible, and not much of a reason for selecting one mode over the other.

#70 ·
25 mpg on a 2800 mile trip Nov 2009

We drove our newly aquired 2003 s500 4matic with full book service with 155,000 miles on it got an average of 25.5mpg with an average speed of 56mph on a 2800 mile round trip to Florida. There were some tanks that I averaged 69mph! What a joy to drive, what a pain to convert from km to US measures though, throw in the dollar conversion and you got a math heads delight!
We were 1200 miles from our B service warning when I checked the oil via the command center and it said to add a quart, Why didn't it idiot light me to do so? Anyone else using a quart between changes and does your warning flash the screen?

#75 ·
My MY1999 W220 S500 has 121,600mls on the clock and averages 24.5mpg mixed driving. I change the oil and filter every 6 months (~6k mls) and recently changed 16 spark plugs for the first time since 72,813mls when they were changed by RKG, Euskirchen, Germany 26 Mar 08. It is 'AOK' except has two faults that I can live with just now: the nearside front window doesn't work and it's recently started slowly cluttering the display with random pixels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.