Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Many problems ABS ESP Airmatic Heavy Steering and Transmission

62K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  mrelbe 
#1 ·
99 Euro spec S320

Ok so Im on a weekend trip to Berlin, car is driving fine whole way. Valet car at Hotel. Next morning get car and about 5 miles later the ABS, ESP and BAS lights come on the sterring goes heavy and soon after the Airmatic error shows and the transmission stays in 2nd gear.

Turning the car off and restarting takes care of the Airmatic and shifting (this is only happening occasionaly) the ESP ABS and BAS is always on at startup.

The steering is fine for about 30 seconds on first start then goes heavy.

I have replaced the brake light switch, no help. I have done the steering lock to lock, no help.

Any masterminds out there that can find a common link?

The tranny problem again only happens after an Airmatic error.

I know I need to get the car to the dealer but would like some knowledge going in.

Thanks
Curt

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like your ESP module is gone and that would put your car into limp mode, I had a problem with the steering angle sensors and put up the same warnings but did not go into limp mode when you star diag it the first code will probably be your ESP module like mine, Dealer wanted to change that first at a 1000.00 but I continued to meter the Esp and found it good and my car was drivable. Does everything work on your steering column??? cruise,wipers,horn, tilt and ext.? if they don't that would show the power is not passing through steering angle sensor. Small horseshoe plastic piece on column under dash. But that would not cause your tranny to go into limp mode. If you have a bad high speed sensor could also cause limp mode. Hope this helps and let us know your findings. ESP Module is a plug and play fix and it is on your drivers side fuse box an is Aluminum cased Module.

#3 ·
Hi and Thanks what is strange is everything works fine and the car drives fine usually except the steering is a bit heavy (only the BAS and ESP warning and ABS light) everyonce in a while the Airmatic warning comes on and instant limp mode from tranny. I quickly turn the car off and restart and shifting is normal again.

about 2 months prior (unfortunatly had car serviced at independant garage) front brakes, Rotors, Oil, Trans oil and Filter and 4 months ago had same replace both front struts $4000.

#4 ·
I came up with some thoughts relating to this. I was getting a string of ESP / BAS / Airmatic malfunctions for a few weeks (and still do very occasionally). The thing I found during that time frame was that my kids had left the rear vanity lights on. After ensuring they were off, the malfunctions pretty much vanished. The conclusion I made is that the control module is VERY susceptible to low voltage induced errors. The battery drain ( which was indeed minor) caused the malfunctions to show at start-up. I have read other supporting evidence such as old batteries causing these types malfunction codes. Might check your battery and charging system?

#5 ·
That is a good start, that can happen. I am not sure though car would go into limp mode? Always start with the cheap and work your way through, if it not your daily driver and you have time. The one big problem with the Benz is once you have the infamous malfunction light come on you eyes are always looking at your dash.

#9 ·
Now this is a great post!!!!

thanks for the update on what fixed your issue..I'm sure we an all note this one for future use !!

BTW: ExpatinPoland

I will be in Bavaria the for 10 days in the middle of Sept.. I'd love to see first hand how the Euro spec S classes look and what mods will work on my US version. any suggestions where to go while I'm there?

#11 ·
Guys, I just had this ESP and BAS failure warning along with ABS failure lighting. As I got home I also had the loss of power steering. Dealer diagnosed as Right Rear wheel sensor failure also. Luckily it was covered under extended warranty and car is running fine. Thanks to all who have posted these solutions! Strange that it was the right rear just as previous posters.

#13 ·
got both warnings ESP/BAS then message that "Presafe is not working" along with ABS light on the dashboard.

I made a 90 degree right turn and the steering wheel felt heavy at the beginning of the turn, push it pass resistance and then all the lights came on.

Pulled off the road in a parking lot, turned car off for a few seconds then started it back up, all the messages were still there.

Turned the steering wheel right-left-right, nothing.

Turned car off and on again, and turned steering wheel all the way but started with left this time, then all the way to the right and then back all the way to the left, messages cleared!

I do have two older tires on the back with uneven wear, so they are due for a replacement to match the 2 new front ones Michelin Primacy MXV4, i will also get an alignment at the dealer and i i will take advantage of this to ask them to check on the sensors.

Hopefully this will prevent this from happening again.

#15 ·
This is very weird! I have the same issue but it cant be rear speed sensor with mine!

Why?
Because I have an S430 and S320 and I was removing the battery on both for charging and disconnected them after this both cars have heavy steering wheels and all malfunctions ON!
ESP ABS BAS AIRMATIC etc full package :)

Its weird. When I start the engines for 30 sec its all fine nice steering wheels as it should... then after that 3- sec the car pops up its MALFUNCTIONS and the steering wheels becomes heavy on both cars.
And I had no issues before the battery disconnection.
Anyone knows what is this?:confused::confused:

#16 ·
Sure sounds like sensor gone. I had same symptoms a year ago and it was the left rear sensor. My chinese clone diagnostic on my laptop showed 0 speed reading on that one. Why these sensors go bad is beyond comprehension.

#17 ·
I am just sitting here and thinking of this suspension problem when you write me the left rear sensor problem!

And you know what I was just outside and check the car all around and the left rear side looks a bit lower than the right rear side.
The car do not drop its front side in few hours.
But overnight it drops the front right suspension side to the tyres.
That was exchanged to brand new.

After I start or open the car the levels back to normal.

So you had similar problem?

#18 ·
Sorry I already mixed it up with another problem...

I go crazy on this car it was a perfect car until I changed the front suspension to new (just in case)...
Disconnected battery and all lights on now and does all kind of errors...
Its really annoying...

And before I did not have 1 malfunction not even any problems...

I just replaced the strut as they said its cracked on the top!
We put it on Star that said I have a front strut fault, so I replaced it.
But had no issues actually with the old one.
Raised lowered and all worked fine not even an inch was dropped overnight.

After the suspension replacement the car went crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.