#1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question How long should brake pads and rotors last?

Just had my car into the dealer. The car is at 35,000 miles and is driven mostly conservatively in the suburbs: some highway but very little stop/go heavy traffic. The rear brakes have 20% left on the pads and they recommended having the pads and rotors replaced immediately. The front brakes have 50% left on the pads and they recommended having the pads and rotors replaced at the next service (about 6000 miles). I got the car used and there is nothing in the service records showing any brake work has ever been done; however its possible some records are missing. On most cars the front brakes wear out faster than the rears so I am guessing maybe the fronts were done at some point. Anyway, my questions are:
1. How long do brakes normally last under moderate use?
2. Does it make sense to replace the rears at 20% or can I wait a while? At what percentage are they actually "worn out"?
3. Does it make sense to replace the fronts in another 6000 miles if they are at 50% or should they last longer?
4. What are good prices for brake work (new pads and rotors)? They are quoting 685 for the rears and 790 for the fronts; labor rate is 124/hr.

edit: A little more info. I looked at the mechanic's notes more carefully. He actually wrote "front brake pads 50% remaining; rear brake pads 20% remaining, needs rear pads and rotors worn out, next service" The service advisor typed this up as "needs rear pads and rotors worn out; front pads and rotors next service" Needless to say, I am not impressed ...

"Mercedes: Expensive and Built to Stay That Way"

Last edited by Mike Wevrick; 01-31-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Send a message via AIM to Dsum Send a message via Yahoo to Dsum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
Just had my car into the dealer. The car is at 35,000 miles and is driven mostly conservatively in the suburbs: some highway but very little stop/go heavy traffic. The rear brakes have 20% left on the pads and they recommended having the pads and rotors replaced immediately. The front brakes have 50% left on the pads and they recommended having the pads and rotors replaced at the next service (about 6000 miles). I got the car used and there is nothing in the service records showing any brake work has ever been done; however its possible some records are missing. On most cars the front brakes wear out faster than the rears so I am guessing maybe the fronts were done at some point. Anyway, my questions are:
1. How long do brakes normally last under moderate use?
2. Does it make sense to replace the rears at 20% or can I wait a while? At what percentage are they actually "worn out"?
3. Does it make sense to replace the fronts in another 6000 miles if they are at 50% or should they last longer?
4. What are good prices for brake work (new pads and rotors)? They are quoting 685 for the rears and 790 for the fronts; labor rate is 124/hr.

edit: A little more info. I looked at the mechanic's notes more carefully. He actually wrote "front brake pads 50% remaining; rear brake pads 20% remaining, needs rear pads and rotors worn out, next service" The service advisor typed this up as "needs rear pads and rotors worn out; front pads and rotors next service" Needless to say, I am not impressed ...

Hi
I have that same problem I have had my car for 5 years . The car was new and the brake pads lasted for 2 years after I the brakes replaced they seem to wear out every year I drive 9 to 10k miles a year some stop and go and the rotors have been replaced twice in the past 2 and a half years . I thought it was do to my larger rims but a couple of people with stock amg set up's have the same problem . I had mine done a month ago and I paid 900.00 for front rotors and new brakes
#3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Considering that the rear brakes wear out much slower compared to the fronts, I would wait and possibly do them at the same time. Besides what is the worst that will happen if you wait? You pads will continue to wear out but the brake sensor will tell that it is really time to do it. Even if you wait beyond that, you only run the risk of ruining your disks once the wear-out tabs start to make the brake squeal. But you are going to have change that anyway, right?
Don't let them fool you into thinking that you are suddenly going to be driving down a cliff without brakes if you don't change them right now. THere are many, many safety alerts built into the system.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, guys. Yes, I am going to wait until the wear sensors kick in or I do the B service this summer. (I'll be doing that before a long road trip, so I'll want to do the brakes at the same time.)

By the way, the dealer also recommended a ball joint, accessory belt/pulley, and a few other things. I took it to an independent for a second opinion and price quote, and he said none of the stuff the dealer suggested was really needed at this point. Apparently the dealer techs and advisors get a commission based on how much work they "sell," so its in their interest to suggest having work done if there is even the slightest hint that it might need to be done sometime. It's borderline dishonest; some might say outright dishonest.

"Mercedes: Expensive and Built to Stay That Way"
#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2003 S430 4-matic, charcoal on black
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsum View Post
Hi
I have that same problem I have had my car for 5 years . The car was new and the brake pads lasted for 2 years after I the brakes replaced they seem to wear out every year I drive 9 to 10k miles a year some stop and go and the rotors have been replaced twice in the past 2 and a half years . I thought it was do to my larger rims but a couple of people with stock amg set up's have the same problem . I had mine done a month ago and I paid 900.00 for front rotors and new brakes
Wow thats alot for the front rotors plus pads.... i live in nyc and i got picked for 110.40 per rotor and 85.67 for akebono preformance pads...and i have to buy the 4-matic rotors..more money. and all that plus a 112.50 instalation a total of 418.97...gee where did you go????? ( i went to the stealership and thats what i got charged)
#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
I've got 53+k on the original pads and rotors. The pads are due shortly (5k or less), and we'll see about rotors. This is a stock '04 S430; 17" wheels, 225x55 tires. I don't know if I am a "moderate" or "easy" driver--I push the car left and right, but don't use the brakes hard much at all. It's that Bondurant experience, I guess--when you scrub off speed with the brakes, you lose the exit speed. Around town I don't go the "stop light slam-it-on-slam-it-off." That may be why I average 22 mpg.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
#7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2002 S430 90/00/05 VWs
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to Tonino
It is all on the driver and road condition/location,
temperature effecting brakes too especially on aggressive on cold climate keep cut the power/wheel spin from poor traction could lead to premature rear brake wear above average

“The difficult part in an argument is not to defend one's opinion, but rather to know it.”
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: S 500 2004 SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA View Post
I've got 53+k on the original pads and rotors. The pads are due shortly (5k or less), and we'll see about rotors. This is a stock '04 S430; 17" wheels, 225x55 tires. I don't know if I am a "moderate" or "easy" driver--I push the car left and right, but don't use the brakes hard much at all. It's that Bondurant experience, I guess--when you scrub off speed with the brakes, you lose the exit speed. Around town I don't go the "stop light slam-it-on-slam-it-off." That may be why I average 22 mpg.
I performed the service II on my 2004 S 500, and they are supposed to check for rotors and pad thickness, and advise you to avoid replacing expensive rotors if the pads are worn to the point where you are braking with the rotors. You second check is the actual worn pads indicators. Nothing was mentioned on the "soup to nuts" service II maintenance.

Three weeks went by and the worn pads light came on, next day I took the car to have them replaced, and received a call from the service adviser that the front rotors and pads, and I quote "were fried" and needed replacement $ 790.00. I asked whatever happened to the pro-active maintenance to ferret out these issues, and could they provide me the actual thickness of the rotors, and pads; a required part of the service II.

They were unable to provide me with the information, I had to speak to the service manager and MB USA to have them pickup the cost since it was their mistake not to check for break wear three weeks prior, and only after one day of brake pads light diagnostic light blinked, and the rotors got fried.

Then they tried to back peddle on a junior technician that made the mistake that the rotors were "fried". I called MB USA and eventually the sleaze dealer who wanted to screw me on replacing good rotors, had to eat the cost to install new ones, and I did request to please retain the old ones to see how fried they were. Unfortunately, someone did not get my request and were tossed away; environmental hazard you know.

Last edited by NIKKILOSADA; 01-10-2009 at 11:03 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
I just bought new oes front rotors and pads from online dealer mercedessuperstore.com . Cost me $270plus $20 shipping for parts. My local dealer was charging $100 more for the same parts. I replaced the brakes myself in 2 hours. Very easy to do if you've worked on cars before. I am not a mechanic but have done at least 15 brake jobs in the past. My car has 88k miles on it and the records show that all 4 rotors have been replaced before along with all pads. I hear that the brakes do not last long at all on these cars as compared to most other cheaper cars.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
wpm
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
It's almost never necessary to change rotors for the entire life of a car. If someone wants to do that, you force them to measure the thickness in front of you and then show you the spec sheet for allowable tolerance. It's a nearly constant scam.
oasis1967 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.