Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Airmatic / Strut Issues

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cnguyen32 
#1 ·
Hello all. This is my first post after reading many threads for the past week. The R/S front end on my 2002 S430 dropped like a rock during the cold spell here in NJ last week while going to work. This is my first MB purchased back in October. I pulled over at a gas station and couldn't believe that I could barely see the top of the R/S tire! I was able to limp another half mile to work and was debating on what to do. I was going to have the car towed to the dealer mid-day when I went to check on the car and found it back up to its normal level?? What happened?? I drove the car home CAUTIOUSLY and it made it without issue. After investigating this past weekend, I found the following:
1) The compressor seems to be operating normally as it cycles on and off for 20 or 30 seconds and then shuts down and stays off (no short cycling).
2) The compressor relay seems to be working but I ordered a replacement anyway.
3) Finally, I decided to check for leaks and noticed on the upper front struts that there appears to be hairline cracks on the top of the struts. I sprayed some soap & water on the areas and when I jacked up the car to change the position of the strut, the leak was apparent and I could hear & feel the air coming from right on the top of the strut. If I would stop & lower the car, the leak would stop??
I remember reading on one of the threads about a strut repair kit. I contacted the dealer and they said that they have 4 in stock at $160.00 a piece(new entire strut=$1260.00 each). Has anyone tried this repair on their own? I was able to get a hold of a set of instructions for "Suspension Strut: Service & Repair" which outlines how to remove the top section of the strut. It calls for a specific MB "Puller" tool (220 589 00 61 00) which I obviously don't have and costs $178.00.........with some time I could probably make one as it doesn't look like anything special. The tool just centers dimensionally around the 3 bolts that hold the upper strut section. If anyone has done this work, some feedback would be appreciated before I dive into it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like that tool works the same way as a steering wheel puller, or most types of gear pullers..

Sounds like a tough and timely job though. If you have a spare car, I'd try to fix it myself, if not. Probably consider dropping it off at a mbz dealer or mbz speciality shop. Gl

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.