Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pre-owned W220 Buying Information

222K views 106 replies 43 participants last post by  unavita 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am looking at a 2000 S500 with 78K miles that belonged to the local Benz dealer's wife. Anything that i should be looking out for in either short or long term?

Those that know me know that I come from the 124/126 world where things are bank vault solid and parts and repair are logical, simple and without a lot of whoha [or is that whomha?].

Any input would be greatly appreciated. My previous foray into newer benzos was a 99E55, 98 C280 Sport and 98CLK430. I now need a large car to tote inlaws around who are in the 6ft+ range. My alternative is of course a solid 560SEL.

Your help and guidance would be appreciated.

#44 ·
Go get 'em!

Hi, Kawagirl. From your signature, you're obviously already performance oriented, so you'll like the extra zip of the S500 compared to the smaller engines available in the S-Class.

A few suggestions:

Given your current location, you'll find that the Euro market has more smaller-engined and shorter-wheelbased cars (including models never sold in the US) so you'll need to look harder for a long-wheelbase five-liter car. You'll also find (particularly around Heidelberg, where the GIs are regarded as fair game by the locals) lots of used cars that look pretty but are mechanically and structurally trashed; Euro owners tend to be harder on their cars.

Even though the weather there is not northern-US extreme, I'd recommend you try to find a 4Matic car. I find absolutely no downside to 4Matic, and the significant improvement in traction and control on wet, icy, and snowy roads is something you won't want to do without.

If you're not buying there, the very good news is that this era of S500 is very well represented in Certified Pre-Owned cars sold by M-B dealers in the US with an extended (and further extendable for a price) version of the full factory warranty, at purchase prices in the high 20s to low 30s. Quite a bargain!

Good luck and happy motoring!

#45 ·
Hi Kong,
oh yes indeed...I love ZIP!! and a little zoom to lol. Yes we have head horror stories of Soldiers buying cars over here :-(

We were thinking of buying one here but you can get a decent used on in the US. We are still searching and are enjoying the hunt for the car and learning about the pitfalls and the pleasures of the vehicle.

#46 ·
If you can manage to do so, do buy a US-spec car from a US dealer, and concentrate on Certified Pre-Owned ("CPO") cars.

To get a feel for what's available, go to the US M-B Web site's CPO page , then click on "Inventory Search," then check the box on "S-Class Sedan," then put in a ZIP, select a distance around that ZIP (can be "Nationwide"), selct a range of model years (I'd suggest 2003 - 2006), and under "Features" select 4Matic and Certified Pre-Owned, then click on the "Search" button on the ZIP line.

What will result will include S430s, but you can sort the results by model and look just at the S500s.

I just did this and currently there are only two CPO S500 4 Matics nationwide, one for $28k and one for $37k. I think MBUSA keeps this inventory database pretty current, so shop when you're ready.

Again, good luck!

#47 ·
Thank you for the impressive write-up. I';m considering a cherry 2005 S500 (27k miles) and need to make a decision pretty quickly so she doesn't get away 8)

One question - you wrote: 1) check that the upper front strut mounts were of the newer design.

The car I'm looking at was made in August 2004 - but is a model year 2005. Not sure how to tell if the front struts are the newer or older type - any hints on how to tell them apart?

Thx!

#48 ·
If the top of the strut, where the air pipe connects, has a black shiny level surface the it is the original. However if it has a slight hollow look to the top then it has had the modification done.

#49 ·
Looking at buying a '00 S430 with 49,XXX 1-owner dealer serviced miles. (Clean carfax confirms dealer serviced! New car trade-in on an Acura) What are the major quirks to watch out for with this model. There are 4 instances of no-start situations - 1.) starter replaced, 2/04, 2.) and 3.) were battery replacements in '03 and '07 consecutively and the 4th in 6/09 with no resolution noted.

Give me your thoughts!

Thanks!

#50 ·
Looking at buying a '00 S430 with 49,XXX 1-owner dealer serviced miles. (Clean carfax confirms dealer serviced! New car trade-in on an Acura) What are the major quirks to watch out for with this model. There are 4 instances of no-start situations - 1.) starter replaced, 2/04, 2.) and 3.) were battery replacements in '03 and '07 consecutively and the 4th in 6/09 with no resolution noted.

Give me your thoughts!

Thanks!
Not trying to be a wiseguy but this thread is all about the quirks to watch out for with this model -hence the name of the thread.:confused:

Sounds like a pretty nice ride. 10yrs old and only 49k miles. Thought I was pampering mine with only 92k on it. Best of luck my friend.

#52 · (Edited)
#54 ·
Fault in manufacture/design and there was a limited recall but it's a bit late now.

#55 ·
The recalls/extended warranties (if they were employed) were different in different countries.

The U.S. extended warranty was 10 years from the car's initial date of service; that is not the case elsewhere.

#56 ·
Correct, I had not looked at his location first, Ireland, maybe he should talk to MB to see if it is covered.

#57 ·
My 2006 S430 is not what I would think of when I think Mercedes quality. THe car is beautifully designed and extremely comfortable. The engine and drivetrain seem fine. But they use too much cheap plastic. I have 34,000 miles on it and baby the car. So far, I've had four sun visor replacements (and need two more, but the car's out of warranty), three door handle LEDs replaced (need one more), cup holder broken, ash tray wood trim cracked, storage under seat plastic broke, windshield washer resivoir leaks, hood spring broke, satellite radio intermittently will get stuck on "acquiring signal" (requiring a complete shutdown and restart), front seat lower plastic skirt cracked, O2 sensor needed replacement, and the alignment was off from the start and is still off (even after the dealer charged me $600 for some parts thay said would fix it).

All of these things are petty, but extremely annoying. Most comes from the cheap plastic they used. My wifes C320 (2007) seems to have better quality. She hasn't had all the little breakages. The plastic does seem to be a little thicker in the same spots. But then I haven't measured it.

Expect about 10,000 miles from tires (expensive tires). Due to the different sized with the sport package, they cannot be rotated.

If it weren't for the cheap quality plastic, I'd be absolutely in love with this car. As it is, it's simply okay. My wife's 2007 C320 I can recommend. My 2006 S430, I cannot recommend.

#58 · (Edited)
On the other hand, my '05 S500 has 41,000 miles. No sun visor replacements, one door handle LED finally gave out, the cup holder is fine, the wood trim is still perfect, no broken plastic around the seats (my '00 did have this problem, usually when I kneeled on the side of the seat cleaning the car's interior), and the windshield and headlight washer system is fine. My first set of tires went to 38,000 miles (I replaced them for runout, not for tread wear). O2 sensor has not needed replacement, and the dealer did a superb alignment and great tire balancing job on the new ones. My telematics (audio, phone, nav, etc.) have been flawless. I haven't even had to replace a light bulb of any kind (though I voluntarily switched side marker bulbs when I installed clear side marker lenses).

In terms of replacing things, I had a problem with airmatic struts in the first year; both fronts were replaced under warranty. I had the A/C blower fan motor and fan control replaced, just a few months before the warranty expired. I believe I may be in the initial stages of having to replace my TPMS sensors. I don't consider that too bad in five years. I would (and have often) recommended the car to anyone.

#60 ·
Skylaw - I bet we have some mutual friends :) I have had five Mercedes (in addition to numerous other cars). All except my '06 S430 have been excellent and reliable. My '84 500SEC went over 140,000 miles and was still going strong when I sold it. I have traditionally been extremely happy with Mercedes quality. I was extremely disappointed with my '06. My '07 seems back to the traditional Mercedes quality. I don't know if '06 was a bad year or if I simply got a Monday car. If you're running the Bridgestone Potenza tires and are getting 38,000 miles, I think you're an exception. My getting about 10,000 - 12,000 miles is pretty typical for these tires. I had the same thing with an '04 Porsche Carerra. The Potenzas have very soft rubber. Great tires for performance, but not wear. I tried to get some Michelein tires, but they aren't made for my particular size. After my expensive alignment didn't do the trick, I returned the car to them. When I got it back - "fixed" - I discovered that they simply pumped up the tire pressure to almost twice the recommended pressure on the side the car was pulling towards. When I called the dealer, they said my on-board pressure gauge just needed to be reset. Well, after checking it with a separate gauge, the on-board pressure sensor was right on the money. Bad thing is that a special tool is required to perform the alignment so I can't take it anywhere but the dealership for alignment. I need another dealer. It might be worth a drive to Tampa. It's only about 3 hours away.

#61 · (Edited)
Your dealer sounds awful.

My '05 was equipped with Continentals when new. I never liked them, but they lasted. I am much happier with the Michelin MXV4 Primacy tires now on it.

Mercedes Benz of Tampa (on Dale Mabry Hwy, near Raymond James Stadium; soon to move to Mabry and MLK Blvd.) has some pretty good techs - they have always done well by me. They did my alignment, and balance - excellent jobs, both.

One exception: Before my last "B" service 2 weeks ago, I had set my tire pressures (nitrogen fill) with a racing tire gauge, one that reads to .1 lb. All were right on the money at 29 front, 32 rear. When I got the car back, the tires felt squirmy and overfilled - and were they ever! 43 to 47 psi in each, verified on TPMS and with a manual gauge. Those were hot pressures, but they should have been around 32 and 36 psi hot. I was furious.

#63 ·
Welcome to the forum. One of the first things for a W220 owner (or prospective owner) to become familiar with is the W220 S-Class Owners Encyclopedia, a sticky at the top of this forum. You will find the answers to your questions there.

#64 ·
hi all,
haven't been here in a while...

before i bought this car, i was afraid of all problems that people were talking about. but i got it anyway and not regretting it looking back so far.
after 4 years having my w-220, no major problems reported...
few minor things broke (replaced mirror on driver side, seal around 1 mirror, pulley holder, front lights washer leak).
77k on it now, and was wondering if i should replace the front struts or go with the seal replacement kits?
are these kits OEM parts?

thanks for help.

maybe I will upgrade to w221 soon :D

#65 ·
I am in the same boat as you, but contemplating fixing only one strut, since the other one was done by previous owner.

The consensus is to replace the struts with Arnott's NEW ones, but i might just pay for fix kit first and then bite the bullet for two brand new struts.

Regarding upgrading to W221, i do not like the new body style too much....and they are not cheap enough yet

#67 ·
Skylaw,

I'm very interested in a 2003-04 E or S series 430, 500 or 55 amg. I just read your extensive info above on the air suspension systems, etc. Which of the above cars do you think will be the most reliable and have the kinks worked out? I don't mind spending money on regular maintenance but don't want to buy the problem child. Thanks!

#68 ·
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for doing some research before posting a question!

Go to the buying advice/reliability section at the bottom of the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky at the top of this forum. I hope you will also find the Encyclopedia useful during your W220 ownership.

You will find comparisons of the S430 and S500 in the encyclopedia; for the S55, I'm afraid it will be individual searches. Owners of S55's love them for their power.

I don't drive and have never owned an E-Class, so I cannot advise; but again individual searches of the forum will get you comparisons with W220s from folks who have.

You're looking at the right years of the W220, with '03 and later, in terms of reliability.

#69 ·
I am a little disheartend after reading this post.. I have an 00 S430 made in 03/00. Are these junk? The guy above said he would never buy an 00 with over 100k.. mine has 107k exactly.. the car looks great, seems great, just some plastic pieces broken in the interior which is the only sign I can see of any "abuse".. I called the dealer and they said all the recall's have been taken care of and the instrument cluster was replaced in 2001... that would be ten years now.. so does that mean it's still under warranty?

If the problems the early cars have, have been fixed with updated parts, are they still something to stay away from?

Thanks guys!

#71 ·
If the car has had all the upgrades done then you will have no major worries.

#70 ·
My '00 has 108k miles on it. I've put a bunch of $ into it but it's paid for and I still love the look of the car. No they are not junk. Just understand the first few years they made this model was a bit of trial and error for our German friends. Lots of errors. But it's a sweet ride and so affordable now. You can pick them up for $8k and look and feel like your driving a vehicle worth 10x that. Hard to resist. Just factor in $ for costly occasional repairs. Nothing's cheap with these.

#72 · (Edited)
Defecting towards a newer W220 S class also...

So I may also be in the market for atleast an '02 S500 and up (model wise). Relatively not forthcoming in info with these as I am used to and love the older models.. I want to come across a non 4 Matic model if it does exist. Obviously I will do my research: Now everyone points out the Airmatic suspension which is a big achilles heel but to me is not that big of a deal. I would sort out the problem purchase price considered. My concern is the reliability of the powertrain and HVAC units. My W126s were/are darn near bulletproof. Everything it needs or needed was done in house sans the chain and guide jobs. That is just something I would never do on my own.. (You can't sue yourself for a botched job)..

I don't care for the basics..

Comfortable Ride.. Wheel and tire choices.. Out go the 16's or 17's and on will go 19's for the summer. Lowering module and upgraded suspension will firm up the ride
Performance...ECU work if applicable, catbacks, internal work.. In the persuit of more power
Exterior.. Factory-esque Lorinser kit to match.. Nothing gawdy or over the top.

Now, I have decided to downsize my fleet and look into something different.. I have had many W126 S classes and still do.. Some more special under the hood than others.. I am still considering the W210 E class chassis but I forego the W140 s class as I do not like the look of the car albeit is very solid.. Being that the case.. I just want something a bit newer in the fleet over the W126's

Thanks,
Chris....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.