#1 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: S-500 2003. BMW 750Li 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
03 S500 Does the trunk have power assist?

If I close my trunk gently, It doesnt go all the way down. Manual says it has trunk power assist. Took it to dealer and mechanics notes said " vehicle does not have feature"

Not sure who to believe?? Does anyone with a 03 have it?

PS: ( I do not have a automatic trunk closing feature)

Mikbox Phone/voice control
IPOD-via Aux cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There is probably only one owner's manual for all of the 2003 S500. Mine, for example, covers the 2001 E320/E430/E55. Therefore, they have to cover all of the options available for that year. If you have the 2003 manual, I think you can assume that it was available for that model year. For the non-standard options, there should be an "if so equipped" following the description.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 06-23-2007 at 08:29 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
The power assist similar to the front doors? iirc, it should, but I'm going from what experience I had with the pre-facelift model.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Same feature AML, as far as I know. You almost close the trunk lid, and some power thingie does the rest. I know a guy who owns a 1995 S500 with the door assist, so that has been available for a long time. Like you, I don't know as much about the trunk assist.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 06-23-2007 at 06:36 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
My car came equipped w/ the electric pneumatic door and trunk closing assist--standard equipment--according to my original window sticker. I can't imagine why they would make it optional three years later. My assist went out a few years ago and they had to replace the pneumatic pump. It's worked perfectly ever since.

Don't believe everything you think
#6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
I LOVE the feature because you can sneak in and out at night and not wake anybody up because you don't have to slam the doors shut....too bad I don't have that feature.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:26 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There are two trunk "closers" - one is a power opening and closing device that was an option.

The power assist that you describe, that works much as your doors do (or should, pulling them shut the last half inch or so) was standard.

It is true that the MB owners manual does a lousy job of identifying what was optional, and what was standard.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control
#8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks.... I will re chek the manual. As Skylaw says, if its standard then why is the mechanic saying otherwise? Is that laziness on their part or inexperienced mechanic ?

Also, any suggestion how to proceed with them next? My link is the service advisor and I am sure hes not that knowledgable on every part. Who should I be arguing the point with? Service Manager or ask advisor to have another mechanic chek it? I hope you understand my hesitancy since I am trying to prove the experts wrong and I am in no way an expert....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Last nite

Thanks

IPOD-via Aux cable
#9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sarv,

Show your dealer the 2003 model year overview at Mercedes-Benz, Home of Mercedes-Benz Luxury Automobiles - the MBUSA site. Note that "Pneumatic door and trunk closing assist" are listed as standard features and are not identified among an option package. You should have the feature.

You may also have, in your original paperwork - the records from the purchase of your car - the original window sticker. It will list standard equipment. I have seen some dealers include it in the owners manual package.

Your dealer has told you the kind of thing my former dealer in Baltimore often told me, to discover (through these forums) that he was wrong and the feature was simply in need of reset or repair. Among them that I can specifically recall, automatic steering wheel repositioning, automatic 3-flashing of the lane change signal, key matching to driver preferences, and the ability to lower/raise all windows while unlocking or locking the car.

For each and every one, I was told it was a feature that was either optional, or that came out in a subsequent model. It was all BS.

I have found wide variance in the knowledge of "service writers." The techs who do the actual work know far more, unless the "service writer" had first been a tech in Mercedes and had fairly recent experience, which is not always the case.

In two of the cases above, a tech came out and fixed the problem on the spot, explained how to handle it myself if it happened again (specifically, the steering wheel height and key matching; the others needed repair). A tech also pointed out what to look for in developing Airmatic leaks at the top of the strut mounts and several other things I have shared on the forum. It's what got me started on the forums in the first place.

It's also what convinced me to research a problem before bringing the car in to start with. Tends to disarm the BSer immediately.

I would deal with a different service writer - even if he was "assigned" to you as part of a team. I would ask to speak directly to the tech who would work the problem. And, if that failed, I would ask to speak to the manager of the entire service department (not the service writer). At least in my experience they were fairly knowledgeable, and if not, would call the proper tech.

Sometimes I believe the service writers think you're too stupid to understand your car, or too busy to care, and they blow you off. I think the techs, once you get to them, are proud of their knowledge and know if you went that far, you want an answer. The ones I have dealt with have actually been happy to share their knowledge, and talk to someone interested enough to listen.

Do that, and they'll know you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control
#10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Skylaw,

Thanks, I will give it a shot. What ticks me of is that I will have to take the car back again. Also, it was the tech who wrote in his comments that feature wasnt there. At least thats my assumption on the paperwork that I get back after repairs. It got the problem I stated first and then the response of the Tech as to what was done, ie replaced compressor etc etc. In this case, " Feature unavailable"

I will research on the board for next time and save another trip.

Thanks again.

Sarv

IPOD-via Aux cable

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.