Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Airmatic Strut Rebuild

38K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Efkn55amg 
#1 ·
Is it possible to replace the o-ring and plate, without the special tools. If so are there any directions anywhere or has anyone attempted it? I tried searching but didn't have any luck. I have bought the kit, but wanted to check before I messed something up even worse.

#4 · (Edited)
All, I had cracks in my airmatic on the front struts, After using a sealer called Captains Tolly's Creeping Crack Cure which I use on my big boat, It has the density of water which seeps and fills the leaks.
I did the following, First I used it on all the cracks, you will actually see it start to seep let it dry, Then do it again let it dry, and on the third time it wouldn't seep as much.
..I couldn't believe it, it stopped all the leaks, I checked it using the soapy water method.
It will dry to a hard like plastic, available at West Marine, Wallyworld or Camping World cost about 8 bucks.
It has been NINE months and still no leaks.

#9 ·
Hi to all,
I have a 2001 and the airmatic goes "too low to drive" every now and then, but only when it's cold out(I live on Long Island in NY). I can usually get it to pump back up. Sometimes it happens when I'm driving and sometimes when the car sits over a couple nights without being driven. Also, most of the time when I park the car and I get out, I can hear some air being released from under the hood(hissing sound), but the car does not go down(don't know if this is normal?)
My question is, with these symptoms, what do you think my problem might be??
If it turns out to be leaking from cracks in the top of the struts, I may like to try wsy3benz's fix with the Captains Tolly's Creeping Crack Cure. If I do, I would think that the area/cracks should be first cleaned with something for better adhesion, What and how?? And I was thinking that it would be best to somehow empty the air out of the shocks to relieve the pressure which would allow the Captains Tolly's to seep in better?
Any and all thought on my/this situation will be much appreciated!
Lastly, where is the obd connector located on this car(2001 s500)
Thanks in advance to all!!
Adam

All, I had cracks in my airmatic on the front struts, After using a sealer called Captains Tolly's Creeping Crack Cure which I use on my big boat, It has the density of water which seeps and fills the leaks.
I did the following, First I used it on all the cracks, you will actually see it start to seep let it dry, Then do it agin let it dry, and on the third time it wouldn't seep as much.
..I couldn't believe it, it stopped all the leaks, I checked it using the soapy water method.
It will dry to a hard like plastic, available at West Marine, Wallyworld or Camping World cost about 8 bucks.
It has been six months and still no leaks.

#5 ·
I always thought that the valve at the top of the strut is suppose to release/leak air whenever the airmatic thinks the vehicle is too high (as it does when you jack up the front of the vehicle).

Is this a normal function or do I have cracks in or around the valve? In other words, when I jack up the front of my vehicle, is air suppose to be released from the valve at the top of the strut?

#8 · (Edited)
Remanufactured Air Shocks

During our remanufacturing process we are finding that many customers have already spent hundreds of dollars replacing the top seal on their front air shock, only to find the air spring or the lower rubber doughnut seal fail within a few thousand miles after. It seems like a waste of time and money to only rebuild the top seal of your air shock, if your car has close to, or more than 75,000 miles on it. The air springs are very thin and fragile on the factory shocks. They tend to dry out and fail around 100,000 miles. When we remanufacture the shocks, we replace the top seal, lower rubber doughnut seal, and the air spring bladder. Your cost of a remanufactured unit is $359.10 each with the 10% forum discount. The remanufactured unit also comes complete with a lifetime warranty. That’s just something to consider when thinking about rebuilding your own top seal.

Thanks everyone!
Adam
Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries

#13 ·
During our remanufacturing process we are finding that many customers have already spent hundreds of dollars replacing the top seal on their front air shock, only to find the air spring or the lower rubber doughnut seal fail within a few thousand miles after. It seems like a waste of time and money to only rebuild the top seal of your air shock, if your car has close to, or more than 75,000 miles on it. The air springs are very thin and fragile on the factory shocks. They tend to dry out and fail around 100,000 miles. When we remanufacture the shocks, we replace the top seal, lower rubber doughnut seal, and the air spring bladder. Your cost of a remanufactured unit is $359.10 each with the 10% forum discount. The remanufactured unit also comes complete with a lifetime warranty. That’s just something to consider when thinking about rebuilding your own top seal.

Thanks everyone!
Adam

No comment on labour warranty?

Jonathan

----------------
Now playing: 02 - Sometimes (Lester Piggott)
via FoxyTunes

#12 · (Edited)
Asat,
I just cleaned it with soapy water and used an air compressor to blow it out. Let it dry.
Afraid to use any chemicals as it may eat the epoxy some more.
If you go to any yacht forum it pretty much seals leaks that cannot be found where and no cleaning is necessary.
The important thing is you apply it multiple times till it quits seeping. You will be shock how much seeps in and has the consistency of water. It will also seep into the hairline cracks. It drys as hard as the epoxy,
But since it is used for Boats or Yachts and the seams on them flexes quite a bit when you're underway, it has not failed to fix a leak yet. My cracks were around the edge and hairline cracks near the valve.
I know its a temporary fix I expected a few months it has been almost 9 months and no leaks. I checked again tonight and still no leaks.
for 8 dollars a bottle it's worth a try. I have 89K miles on it now.
I will eventually buy from Arnott the strut assembly but so far so good.
Even my dealer was shocked at how well it held up.

#14 ·
Hey, Captain Tolly's Creeping Crack is the solution because it only cost $8. Nothing wrong to gamble $8 before you spend $655 for a pair of rebuild or $350 to replace the seals. I will put that $8 chemical on top of my new seals to help since I do not put back any epoxy on top of the seal after replacement. I will stay put until my pump operate too often.

#16 ·
Understood, I just like to clarify.

As an aside, if you purchase parts @ your dealership one of the perks of paying all that $$$ is that their parts Do in fact come w/ 1 year parts & labour warranty

Jonathan

#18 ·
I just can not imagine how can you install the parts incorrectly. You will damaged your car and cost you more $ to repair than the mfg's warranty. So I guess, they just replace it as life warranty for you unless you are returning a pair of bended struts back to them. One thing I am wonder how that replacement free works, do you return the parts to them before they ship you the replacement or else ?

#21 ·
Arnott's Warrany

If a part is deemed defective by our tech support team, a replacement unit will be shipped at no cost to the customer. I know at this point many of you have questions on my company’s products. You have my personal guarantee that I will make sure you leave a happy customer in the end. Any warranty issue is unpleasant, and I truly believe that is a company’s time to shine. I am personally making myself available for anyone that has questions, concerns, or problems with any of my products.
Thanks everyone
Adam Arnott

#25 ·
daisound,
no, I did not even try to remove the epoxy.
I just cleaned the surface with damp cloth, let it dry then filled the hairline crack with Captain Tolly's unitl no longer adsorbed into the cracks (wait ~1 hr between each fill)

I tested with soapy water the next day and no more bubble! :)
I even take measurement of the fender height and after 2 night parking in the garage, the car now only lowers ~.6" being in "rest" mode as oppose to 1" lower when it was leaking.

I would still keep on eye on it and when it leaks again, then it's time to order from Arnott.

#24 ·
My car has 86K on the clock and I had not noticed any issues at all with the suspension but after reading this thread I checked out the top of my struts and noticed some hairline cracks around the valve. Using soapy water I found that the drivers side had a very small air leak. I brought a small bottle (60ml) of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure and applied it in stages until the fluid stopped being absorded into the cracks. The air leak has now gone but I'll obviously need to keep an eye on it.

Thanks to wsy3benz for this great tip.

Jetstream.

#29 ·
Defected airsprings

Hi arnotts,
I just recieved my rear airsprings for my 2004 benz e320 and just had it installed ..after following the step by step instuction and putting everything back together ,as i start the cars air compressor i hear hissing sound on one of the airsprings. I was very dissappointed to find out i have 1 defected airspring the leak seem to be leaking from the inside of the airbag ,air escaping from the electrical connector and the back around the valve ,basically where there is opening on the top of the strut is where air leaks from and obviously at a fast pace. what is the policy and means of how to have a replacement on my defected airbag. Looking forward to hear from you . :(Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.