Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2006 Cls500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
gas cap / check engine light

I have had this happen before :
warning light comes on and says gas cap loose ,,ok I fix it and goes away and then sometimes the check engines light follows ,,and again it goes out ,,HHHmmm!! this time its been 3 days and the light id not going out ?????
and ideas on what I need to do???
thank you
Rick
2000 S430
88k on her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: S-430
Send a message via Yahoo to penny649
I have a S430 and my gas cap is stuck and I can not remove it from my car. Is there anyway that I can pry the cap off, I'm 250 miles from home and I don't want to go to the dealer and pay a extra 3 grand.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2000 E55 AMG
I had the same issue in the past. Final diagnosis: MAF sensor. Good luck.

#4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
The Air Mass sensor is a likely culprit.
One advice: look out for engine stalling when idling at stop lights. If stalled, you might not be able to restart the engine.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny649
I have a S430 and my gas cap is stuck and I can not remove it from my car. Is there anyway that I can pry the cap off, I'm 250 miles from home and I don't want to go to the dealer and pay a extra 3 grand.
It's likely a lot less than 3 grand - which your towing fees and screwing up your engine by running out of gas could run.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control
#6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Cls500
(Thread Starter)
I had a friend of mine reset it been off now about a month
#7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
^^What did he reset and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny649
Any mechanic should be able to get it off. It's probably just a little tight.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
I took my car to the dealer and after several hours of diagnosis time they figured out was a faulty charcoal cannister switch (or maybe valve?).
#9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2009
Most often, you forgot to tighten the gas cap at your last refill. It takes three or more engine starts before the Check Engine light comes on. If you tighten the gas cap, the light may go out after three or more engine starts. If not, you will have to go to a service station or buy your own OBD II (On Board Diagnostic version II) code reader. They cost $50 - $100, or more. A loose gas cap is code 170, despite what the code interpreter says about a fuel system bank fault. Use the OBD RESET button to turn off the Check Engine light.

If the gas cap is stuck, get a large open end wrench and put it on the gas cap knob to give yourself some leverage and twist the gas cap open. It will come off as usual with the extra leverage. The gas cap is OK. The problem is that the latches on the rim of the filler tube are bent. Look inside the rim and you will see two little tabs or ears at the ends of each of the two ramps that start at each of the two slots in the rim. They are supposed to catch on the white tabs on the inside of the gas cap. They will be bent back toward the walls of the filler tube, so they don't catch the gas cap. Pry the tabs with a screwdriver and bend them out straight and parallel to the walls of the filler tube so they point straight down towards the gas tank. The entire procedure should take less than 5 minutes.

The dealer will probably tell you that your tripronged bifurcater needs to be replaced and charge you $1000 to do this. If he doesn't, you've found an honest dealer. Please post his name on this website so we can all go to him for service.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: My Benz: 04 S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by slkuser View Post
Most often, you forgot to tighten the gas cap at your last refill. It takes three or more engine starts before the Check Engine light comes on. If you tighten the gas cap, the light may go out after three or more engine starts. If not, you will have to go to a service station or buy your own OBD II (On Board Diagnostic version II) code reader. They cost $50 - $100, or more. A loose gas cap is code 170, despite what the code interpreter says about a fuel system bank fault. Use the OBD RESET button to turn off the Check Engine light.

If the gas cap is stuck, get a large open end wrench and put it on the gas cap knob to give yourself some leverage and twist the gas cap open. It will come off as usual with the extra leverage. The gas cap is OK. The problem is that the latches on the rim of the filler tube are bent. Look inside the rim and you will see two little tabs or ears at the ends of each of the two ramps that start at each of the two slots in the rim. They are supposed to catch on the white tabs on the inside of the gas cap. They will be bent back toward the walls of the filler tube, so they don't catch the gas cap. Pry the tabs with a screwdriver and bend them out straight and parallel to the walls of the filler tube so they point straight down towards the gas tank. The entire procedure should take less than 5 minutes.

The dealer will probably tell you that your tripronged bifurcater needs to be replaced and charge you $1000 to do this. If he doesn't, you've found an honest dealer. Please post his name on this website so we can all go to him for service.

did you not see that this was a 1.5 year old thread?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class